PDA

View Full Version : Why did I have to find this site?????

Campese
04-08-2006, 08:51 AM
I love it, I am addicted, but I have finally found the downfall to being here so often. We are finally in the market for a used truck. I am planning on a 02-03 Tacoma or Dakota sport so it can fit in my garage of course! Here`s the downfall, now every dealer, or private owner I go to looks at me like I`m crazy when I tell them the orange peel is WAY to noticable, or that the paint looks like it`s been waxed 2 years ago, or that the swirl marks are going to take some time to get out.

I tell them that because first of all it`s true, and second I feel that with the work I am going to have to do to get it to where I want it to be, I should get a lower price. The responses are all the same - orange what? swirl marks? those are on every car, and are part of the paint, I just took it through the hot wax at the tunnel to get it ready to be sold!

I never buy new for a multitude of reasons, money being one, but I can`t justify buying these vehicles with the way they have been taken care of, and even so every new Tacoma I`ve looked at has orange peel a plenty. I was reading about orange peel here awhile ago, and was so happy my car didn`t have it, until I actually took the time to look, and sure enough.... Oh well, I may never buy another car again, at least I will save some money. Thanks Autopia :bawling:

a.k.a. Patrick
04-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Oh well, I may never buy another car again, at least I will save some money. Thanks Autopia :nono

:hairpull If you think Autopia is going to save you $, you`re in a for surprise........

JoeJ
04-08-2006, 09:11 AM
almost every paint job is going to have OP to some extent, ESPECIALLY factory jobs on mass produced vehicles.

4details2win
04-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Yep. ALL cars I`ve looked at closely from Mazdas to Nissans to Toyotas to Lexus have some orange peel.

imported_Detailing Technology
04-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I love it, I am addicted, but I have finally found the downfall to being here so often. We are finally in the market for a used truck. I am planning on a 02-03 Tacoma or Dakota sport so it can fit in my garage of course! Here`s the downfall, now every dealer, or private owner I go to looks at me like I`m crazy when I tell them the orange peel is WAY to noticable, or that the paint looks like it`s been waxed 2 years ago, or that the swirl marks are going to take some time to get out.

I tell them that because first of all it`s true, and second I feel that with the work I am going to have to do to get it to where I want it to be, I should get a lower price. The responses are all the same - orange what? swirl marks? those are on every car, and are part of the paint, I just took it through the hot wax at the tunnel to get it ready to be sold!

I never buy new for a multitude of reasons, money being one, but I can`t justify buying these vehicles with the way they have been taken care of, and even so every new Tacoma I`ve looked at has orange peel a plenty. I was reading about orange peel here awhile ago, and was so happy my car didn`t have it, until I actually took the time to look, and sure enough.... Oh well, I may never buy another car again, at least I will save some money. Thanks Autopia :bawling:

My dad has owned a new car dealership for 26 years, recently sold.

I just want to bring up one of the simplest forms of economics:

CAR = bad investment

A new car loses value every single day it is on the road and for every single mile it is driven. Repaint a body panel on a low end vehicle - lose another $200 in resale per panel, $500 and up on a highline vehicle. Why would you invest your money in this? You are paying interest on that money also - ugh. What do you have in the end, a few bucks that you need to aggrivate yourself to death selling to recoup? If you leased you could have aved that few bucks at the start and done something good with the money, like buy car cleaning chemicals.

Do the math in Excel. Think about leasing a car unless you plan to collect it or keep it until you die.