PDA

View Full Version : old fender liners look like crap. ever heard of painting them black?

tweek
04-06-2006, 03:15 PM
a detailer once told me about it.. not sure if it will turn out well or not. i have a freshly painted black BMW and the fender liners are an eyesore. pretty gray & dirty... if you guys can reccomend this and what type of paint to use ill give it a try. thanks

imported_Bence
04-06-2006, 04:37 PM
If they are just dirty and gray, how about clean & dress them???

tweek
04-06-2006, 04:54 PM
possible, but i dont know how long the dress stuff would last.

matt colvin
04-06-2006, 05:02 PM
What I did was sand them lightly, just to rough up the surface some, them applied the cheap undercoating spray that you can find at most autmotive stores. It is rubberized, and looks fine if you keep it clean and dressed.

tweek
04-06-2006, 05:05 PM
does it settle smooth or rough? if its rough then all kinds of dirt could get stuck in the little indentions

imported_themightytimmah
04-06-2006, 08:07 PM
I`d go for Top of the Line`s trim dye kit over spray paint. It`s a bit more expensive, but I`ve seen really nice results with it.

matt colvin
04-06-2006, 08:28 PM
If you spray with nice smooth passes, then you`ll end up with a good looking product. This is one of those projects where it pays to really think everything out and do good prep work. Mine turned out really nice, esp. for my first time.

All you have to do is keep it clean, and dress it. Just like your tires.

Rocket
04-10-2006, 09:47 PM
I painted mine on my car. They were really bad and seemed to have something on them that regardless of how much I cleaned they still would not clean up. I used some adhesion promoter then sprayed mine with some simi gloss black. They turned out really nice and have held up really well. I daily drive the car and after 3 months they still don`t have a chip.

ScoobyDrew06
04-11-2006, 08:56 AM
how about you lower your car, that way way you won`t be able to look into your fender wells and your car will handle better.

Stickman81
04-11-2006, 09:38 AM
I`m really new to the detail scene, but this is what I did -

Removed wheels.

Washed wheel well with Dawn soap and water using a scrub brush.

Allow to dry.

Apply a light coat of "No Touch" and waited for the white foam to almost vanish.

Wipe the remaining product away.

I also cleaned the insides of the wheels and my brake rotors and calipers.

Not sure if I used correct products, but it turned out nice.

Best of luck. :bigups

Rolla
04-11-2006, 09:53 AM
how about you lower your car, that way way you won`t be able to look into your fender wells and your car will handle better.

Haha that does not work, it only makes it harder to reach in and clean!

Heff
04-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Having done this numerous times, I think I have a good method, basically clean and degrease the liners, with simple green or bleach white, rinse and dry thoroughly, wipe with wax and grease remover, let dry and then paint with flat black or satin black paint, depending on your preference, (I go with flat). Dry and reinstall. This method takes more time and materials , but it looks good and will last quite a while,

Heff