PDA

View Full Version : Dark blue VW Touareg, issues!

AndyA6
04-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Something is wrong with my routine and maybe I can get some insight from you experts!?!

The color is a dark blue metallic. The routine is as follows:-

-wash, dry, using dedicated mitts/water etc. etc.

-no clay since paint is rather clean

-dry

-PC with orange pad and a not so aggressive Meg`s polish (slipped my mind which one)

-AIO by hand on/off with MF

-P21S PCW as a topper by hand on w/ soft foam applicator, off w/MF

Problems:-

-I think I need a more aggressive polish since I do not get all the microswirls out! I still debate whether the VW paint is really hard or really soft?????????? Anybody has some experience with TReg paint?

-After all of the above the paint looks really nice/deep/wet but when sun hits in the "right" angle it seems that I have like a "smear" or "grease" on the paint, very odd!

What am I doing wrong here? Should I skip the MF at the end to wipe off the PCW?

Thanks for looking!

Later,

Andy :xyxthumbs

Bill D
04-06-2006, 08:28 AM
If the swirls are not completely out, it could mean several things: polish might and pad combination might not be aggressive enough and a follow through with a lighter polish and less aggressive pad might be needed, products used may contain filler which are removed somewhere along the line prior to the completion of the job (AIO might have done this), pads and cloths might be dirty ( not always very apparent).

The smear or grease appearance might be P21s PCW sitting on the AIO. Usually I don`t see the use of the product with AIO before or after. Might want to go with a sealant or a carnauba. ( can top the sealant with carnauba later)

AndyA6
04-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks!

FWIW, my pads are all clean before and during use, I try a more aggressive polish next time.

What would be a filler-free polish?

I suspected that applying the PCW on top of the AIO might be not a good idea. This combo works really nice on my silver Audi, though!!

D Tailor
04-06-2006, 09:38 AM
VW Paint is HARD. Think Audi.

porta
04-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Exactly, they are very hard!

AndyA6
04-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Guess what! When we got the truck a so called professional detailer told us the paint is so soft that one wrong wash would bring back swirls........., I believed it for a moment but....

Any other advice, please?

Bill D
04-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Yeah, if it`s like Audi-- black A4 owner here, then it`s going to be quite challenging if it starts to accumulate swirls. I personally use Menzerna polishes although I often reach for Optimum and the good ol` ( discontinued) 3m Perfect It III Rubbing Compound and Machine Glaze ( really a light polish, no concealers).

I do use a Cyclo as needed on my paint though, the PC only seems effective when used with 4" pads, and that`s going to be quite tedious doing the whole car that way. I only use my PC for spot correction, and AIO application with 6" black pads.

Washing the car in a non marring matter is most critical. Still too often, dirt can be harder than ( even hard)paint, causing the swirls when moved around in the washing process. I go way over the top with the foam gun/multiple mitts/extreme wash method introduced to us by Accumulator.

Vw Gti
04-06-2006, 10:14 AM
He could just try to sell you a "special technique" of his that will pervent this from happening :P

D Tailor
04-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Guess what! When we got the truck a so called professional detailer told us the paint is so soft that one wrong wash would bring back swirls........., I believed it for a moment but....

Any other advice, please?

I`ve had a VW/Audi family since I can remember. My advice would be to get on the swirls early and stay on top of them with periodic light polishing. When I first got my 99 Passat, it was sh!t for it`s condition. I`ve spent nearly a year getting the interior clean and the pine needles out of the engine and 30 hourse getting out the paint defects. I used just about every pad/ compound and polish combo under the sun over the past 3 years. Now that I have it close to perfect, I stay on it with a white or blue LC pad and OP every month or when needed. Use a careful wash technique and keep it protected and you should be in great shape. I always start the year with two coats of WG Sealant and 3 coats of FMJ before i start using Carny`s. If i have to polish to keep it nice (which hardly ever) i mark the section off and start the 2 +3 + carny all over just on that section.

I`ve just started working on my wifer`s Audi. I spent a bunch bunch of time on it so far and I`ve managed to get about 80% of the defects out with OC and an Orange pad with a PC. But I think pretty soon, I`m bustin` out the Rotary, and OHC on white (maybe orange if i get pissed).

Good luck and nice job on get a T-Reg. I wish I`d see more of them on the road. They`re VERY nice as a dressed down Cayenne. I`m looking forward to soon getting on eof them or a Q7

AndyA6
04-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah, my Audi is kept swirl free since day 1!! Couldn`t agree more with "staying on top of it", looks 99% swirl free after 3-plus years!

The thing with the Treg was that when we got it there were the dealer introduced swirls and I am still fighting them. Come spring (hopefully soon as it SNOWS right now in Salt Lake City!!) I go for a good wash/clay/polish etc.

Anybody please point me to a fillerfree polish? Much appreciated!

And before I forget, I use dedicated water/mitts during wash. My PC purchase was based on reading Autopia ;)

Thanks everybody!!

D Tailor
04-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Optimum Polish, Meg`s DACP, and Menzerna are all filler-free polishes. I would vote for Optimum b/c it`s easy to use (but takes a while to work in a 2`x2` area-- maybe 5 -8 minutes on speed 6) and it`s dust-free. The dust-free is my favorite part.

AndyA6
04-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Thanks! Will try that!