PDA

View Full Version : Engine cleaning

rockford33
05-16-2003, 07:35 AM
I was under the car last night and noticed quite a bit of oil build-up on everything. The car is 12 years old and somewhat rare and finicky, so I want to be extra careful in trying to clean anything. There is quite a bit of sludge on the cross-members, the underneath of the alternator (don`t know how it got there, but how can I safely clean it off?), etc.. Since parts are increasingly hard to come by (or not made anymore), and I am not sure were every single sensor is located, what would be the best way going about cleaning off the sludge? Not looking for super detailed, just a little cleaner so I can tell where any iol leaks might be coming from.

Thanks,
Neil

Don
05-16-2003, 08:03 AM
GUNK, WD-40, Kerosene are all common solvents used to clean engines.

I have used all of them to clean engine bays and they work well. I usually follow-up with a near full strength soak with SImple Green to remove any remaining grunge or oily film remaining.

Beemerboy
05-16-2003, 09:22 AM
I use a degreaser from Costco that is made for house use. You can mix it with water but I use full stenght. Its about 4 buck a gallon and works wonders. I agree thought that slovent and that likes of those are really that way