PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat came off

Mr. Mo Joe
04-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Well I went to wash the Sunfire to day and a section about the size of a softball maybe bigger of the clear cam off that is right off. Some thing similar to this happened a year ago in the same section about the size of a quarter so I just covered it with some clear nail polish and it stopped the spreading until now. My question is what to do. Do I just leave it and cover it with the bra, use the spray touch up paint and just spray it, or cover it with a decal? Please I cannot afford to have it fixed professionally for I am saving up to move out and I have college to pay for.

imported_truzoom
04-03-2006, 11:27 PM
The clearcoat just came off? Did it crack off or fade off or..?

I think in some circumstances, you can probably give the area a few coats of something like Duplicolor universal clearcoat, but then I think there is a chance the surrounding clearcoat would be prone to coming off also.

Scottwax
04-03-2006, 11:33 PM
What year is your car? GM and Dodge have both had problems with either the clear coming off their cars.

natebood
04-04-2006, 12:22 AM
My gf`s `99 Sunfire is fading on the rear spoiler. Where exactly on your car is it peeling off?

kpounds
04-04-2006, 10:24 AM
How about some AIO topped with wax or sealant? Do the whole car and it should look great.

BobD
04-04-2006, 10:31 AM
What year is your car? GM and Dodge have both had problems with either the clear coming off their cars.

I was 99.9% sure when I read the title that it was a Dodge or GM.

I am not sure what you should do in that situation. Covering it with a decal might not even work. If the clearcoat is coming up and the decal is stuck to that it will just come off with the clear. It sounds like it is just the hood? If so, I know you said you are saving money, but you might want to find a cheap place like a MAACO or someone painting on the side to respray the hood. I am sure you could find a backyard painter to do it for $50 or so.

Mr. Mo Joe
04-04-2006, 10:00 PM
My gf`s `99 Sunfire is fading on the rear spoiler. Where exactly on your car is it peeling off?

It is comming off @ the front passenger fender. It started at about a quater size and I covered it with nail polish that heald up for bout a year or so. The somthing faied and the seal came undone and when I power washed it it came undone.

Rolla
04-05-2006, 09:57 AM
It is comming off @ the front passenger fender. It started at about a quater size and I covered it with nail polish that heald up for bout a year or so. The somthing faied and the seal came undone and when I power washed it it came undone.

That might be your problem... I have seen paint get stripped off.

White95Max
04-05-2006, 10:57 AM
I agree...I put my blame on the power washer (and I bet the nail polish "solution" was a contributing factor as well).

DrGonzo
04-05-2006, 10:28 PM
My car is a late 90`s cavalier and has the startings of clearcoat failure just above the tail light. I can also see spots on the roof and hood where the clear is getting fuzzy and starting to seperate from the base coat. I bought my car in early 2000 and have kept it waxed since then and im still having troubles, so i know its not a case of neglect. GM apparently had problems with clearcoat in the late 90`s. I know several people with GM cars from that time period that are having the same issues.

Just so i don`t come across as bashing GM products, the car has 100,000 miles on it and has had no mechanical problems that weren`t regular wear and tear items(like brake pads).