PDA

View Full Version : FK 146 - First Impressions

drck1000
04-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Hello All. Just thought I`d post my first impression after using FK 146 for the first time this past weekend. Not intended to be a review, but since LynchMOB had requested some feedback, here it is. Please keep in mind that I am still very much a detailing newbie. I really didn`t get 146 for a specific reason in mind, more or less got it just to try it out. I ended up adding 146 to my order of 425 and FX-100. I was really interested in 425 and FX-100, but the cleaning aspect of 146 caught my interest and added it to my order to take advantage of the flat rate shipping.

First I used 146 with a plush MF to QD a couple of panels on the family van. The panels were slightly dirty from a few days of driving in the rain after an application of NXT Tech wax. I was also testing 146 out against a quick clean wipe given to me by my boss. I applied 146 directly to each panel as directed and gently wiped in one direction. I noticed that it didn`t go on as smoothly as 425 did and figured that it was due to its cleaning action. I then turned the towel over to the dry plush side to follow-up and noticed that the product remained on the surface of the now clean paint and streaked. I tried to work it in and still left streaks after a few passes. I then turned the towel over to the fine backside of the towel and that resolved all of the streaking. It seems that the plush side just would spread the product all over. Other than the streaking, which was easily dealt with, it did effectively clean the paint and left a nice glossy finish with moderate slickness.

I also used 146 to clean up some wax residue from the track for the sliding wide van door. This time I used a MF with a low pile and the residue came right off! It was dried on pretty solid and came out without any trouble with just a single pass with the towel. This time it didn`t streak and left a nice glossy finish. After seeing that, I was using 146 to clean up similar residue in the tailgate jamb and noticed some grime and grease built up in the jamb and 146 cleaned that right up. The grime was caked on and took a few wiping passes with the MF towel, but it cleaned right up. Probably not the best for that purpose, but since I had it out, I decided to use it.

So my overall impressions of 146 were positive and that it is an effective cleaner. I got much better results using a low pile MF for cleaning, but will probably try it out again with a plush MF for QD to allow the high pile to pick up dust and get it away from the paint. I probably also was applying too much product, so I will continue to play with that aspect of it. Probably a product I could easily do without, but I will continue to try 146 out. Overall, I don`t usually QD in between washes. My typical uses for QD inbetween washes are limited to spot cleaning bug splatter or bird bombs, so my experience with QD has been limited, so probably need more tiem with 146 to get a better impression.

Hope this helps some.

Wasatch
04-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the review, I believe you are the first to review 146.

LynchMOB
04-03-2006, 12:39 PM
drck1000, Thanks for the info... sounds very interesting. :2thumbs:

This is the info I got from FK1 when I emailed about 146.

146 is an excellent product to use when extra cleaning is required. 146 has the ability to remove light oxidation, light to medium hard waterspotting, bug splatter, soil ....etc. It can either sprayed on and wiped off with a microfiber. or when extra cleaning is needed spray on agitate for a few seconds or minutes with a foam applicator then wipe with a microfiber. As far as removing other LSP,within the FK1 line no, othe product lines it is possible depending on there composition. It may try to clean silicone oil based products. If it does you will see streaking. 146 can be a very useful product.

drck1000
04-03-2006, 02:13 PM
drck1000, Thanks for the info... sounds very interesting. :2thumbs:

This is the info I got from FK1 when I emailed about 146.

I am sure that I will be using 146 a lot more in the next month or so and see how it goes. Again, I kind of purchased 146 without having a specific use in mind for it already. Just an "add-on" to my order of 425 and FX-100. So far I am really liking 425 adn FX-100, but we`ll see about 146.

The response from FK1 helps. The car I was working on didn`t have any apparent oxidation or water spotting. I had applied NXT Tech about a week prior and the paint looked good still. Will have to keep those in mind next time they come up though. They did mention streaking when used to clean up silicone based products. I didn`t use any on the paint, unless NXT Tech has silicone products in it. I didn`t think so. . . But I didn`t like the streaking and it took more ( not a lot more ) effort during the follow-up wipe. I probably applying too much, but I will try to see how that works in future uses. However, I am thinking that I probably won`t reorder unless I find something that it`s really good for other than cleaning up residue from paint or trim. Have other detail sprays that already do that, although 146 did seem to clean them up faster (with a single wipe).

Wasatch
04-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Get rid of the other QDs and keep the FK1 stuff, lol

Nobuff2tuff
04-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Got some #146 coming so I am anxious to try.