PDA

View Full Version : Hand Polishing Vs Porter Cable Polisher

Tyson98GT
04-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Ok I have recently just purchased the Sonus SFX-1 restore polish and the Sonus SFX-2 enchance swirl remover. I have a swirl problem on my black mustang. I was wondering if I could remove all the swirls by hand with these products or do I need the Porter cable polisher to completely remove all the swirls???

Djmigs
04-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi Tyson,

I have not used this brand yet but someone who has you used this please correct me if im wrong you need a Pc to work this product to remove swirls...also depending on the condition of the swirls you might be able to use scrath x Meguiars brand and use this by hand but doin by hand is very time consuming your better off with a pc or cyclo at your choice...good luck..dont forget to share your detail

Tyson98GT
04-02-2006, 11:19 PM
So I have to use a Porter Cable Polisher with Sonus SFX-1 and SFX-2???

BigAl3
04-02-2006, 11:38 PM
a few of the advantages of the PC is... it will work product in more evenly and you will obtain better, clearer, and deeper results more than you ever would by hand. it will also save you from your arm falling off from being so sore :faint: .

percynjpn
04-03-2006, 01:29 AM
If you don`t mind the work, you can get excellent results by hand. I love my Cylco, but still enjoy polishing by hand sometimes, too.

Accumulator
04-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Unlike the rotary, most of what the PC can do can be duplicated by hand if (big "if") you can put in the manpower. IMO the PC is really just a mechanical hand that doesn`t get tired or sloppy. If you move your hand through a few thousand orbits you`ll basically accomplish the same thing that the PC does. It`s not like the rotary where you have a more concentrated application of effort and the generation of heat.

Look at what ScottWax accomplished (for years) before he got the PC. But that`s ScottWax, some of us do better using machines for most everything.

bmwbear
04-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Ok I have recently just purchased the Sonus SFX-1 restore polish and the Sonus SFX-2 enchance swirl remover. I have a swirl problem on my black mustang. I was wondering if I could remove all the swirls by hand with these products or do I need the Porter cable polisher to completely remove all the swirls???

I would invest in the PC Tyson98GT, you will get more consistent results and you won’t buff your arms off and it saves time. I guess there is a bright side to doing it by hand, your arms will look like Popeye’s when you’re done. :LOLOL

Tyson98GT
04-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Haha thanks guys and do you think that I should go with the Dual Action Polisher because I dont want to get a rotary buffer...

Scottwax
04-03-2006, 02:44 PM
You can remove swirls by hand, I did it for years in my detailing business until a few years ago when I got a PC, but....newer paints are a lot harder and unless you really want to spend 3-4 hours (possibly) buffing by hand and still not getting the results of a PC, it is much better to drop $150-175 on a PC, backing plates and pads.

Believe me, there is a noticable improvement going from hand to PC.

SenojNW
04-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Go with the PC!

I live in Australia so I couldn`t get a PC (not available over here) so I ended up just grabbing a Random Orbital / Dual Action Sander/Polisher and slapping some Sonus foam pads on it. It works great and cost a fraction of what a PC costs - probably about US$28!

It depends how much correction you have to do though as the RO Sander/Polishers generally won`t have the orbit size of the PC and run at higher speeds, so they don`t work so fast if correction is what you are after.

I used mine for the first time on the weekend and I am absolutely stoked with the results! Beats a hand job any day!!! (PTP - hehe!)

percynjpn
04-04-2006, 01:49 AM
If you can afford it, the Cylco blows away a dual action sander/polisher.