PDA

View Full Version : Spray on Bug Protector

Pages : [1] 2

theqase
04-02-2006, 03:38 PM
I have only seen one company offer this stuff (unless other offer it under a different name).

It is a water based spray on bug shield. It washes off with water, and last for about 28 days. The only downsides I see with it, would be that it washes off with water, so rain would take it off.

http://www.prowax.com/bug_guard_mktg.shtml

I was wondering if anyone has ever used it, or if it even sounds practical. I would like to get some, because I could see it being a nice addition to a detailers offerings.

What do you think?

White95Max
04-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Any wax or sealant will make bugs easy to remove from the front of the car. I don`t see the need for a specific "bug protector" wax.

Sherman8r44
04-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Never tried it, but Huey Chemical makes this (http://www.hueychemical.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.3/it.A/id.72/.f) and I`ve also seen some Rain-X areosol bug protector in Car and Driver.

I think they would suck because they wash off in the rain, but I guess if you have really bad bug problems in your area it could be worth it. At the very least, a slick sealant will make wiping bugs off easier.

BradUF
04-02-2006, 08:31 PM
It would be great to spray on the front fender of the car before a drive here in FL. We get crazy love bugs.

JasonD
04-02-2006, 09:22 PM
I have it and use it whenever I got on road trips. It`s great stuff, but whatever you do, be sure to ONLY spray it on painted and/or chrome pieces. DO NOT spray it on anything plastic, especially a bug shield because it doesn`t come off. You will find yourself polishing your bug shield, if you do. Other than that, it`s awesome.

Horseman2475
04-02-2006, 11:21 PM
I have been thinking about buying this:http://www.diamondite.com/bugblocker.htm

gmblack3
04-03-2006, 05:54 AM
I have it and use it whenever I got on road trips. It`s great stuff, but whatever you do, be sure to ONLY spray it on painted and/or chrome pieces. DO NOT spray it on anything plastic, especially a bug shield because it doesn`t come off. You will find yourself polishing your bug shield, if you do. Other than that, it`s awesome.

I wonder if the same effect over 3M or xpel clear bra?

nonwelder
04-03-2006, 06:24 AM
Great products. Anyone have a thought on which one sounds the best? I drive to our lake house in Lake of the Ozarks, so this is a great option for me. I`d appreciate any help!

chml17l
04-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Those that don`t have to contend with love bugs can count themselves as lucky. I think I might actually prefer snow to these cursed creatures. :laugh:

I have tried the Prowax Bugguard but I never left it on long enough to see if it really helped make bugs easier to remove. The problem I had with this product was that it was really difficult to get a thin layer applied to bumpers/a-pillars/hood/fenders because the product has the viscosity/thickness of slightly warm pancake syrup. The package directions say it can be sprayed on, but that got me an overly thick layer that looked more like a clearish coat of Elmer`s glue. I couldn`t stand the overly-thick look. I tried spraying it on a yellow foam applicator and then applying it, but I still found it difficult to get a complete layer of coverage exactly where I wanted it that wasn`t overly thick.

I still have 3/4 bottle and may try it again when the next round of bugs rear their ugly heads. The Diamondite Bugblocker looks interesting to me too and I may give that a shot. The Prowax product appears to be some kind of polymer surfactant. It would be intereresting to compare it to the Diamondite product.

For those of you who had success with Prowax Bugguard, do you have any tips as far as a better application method?

theqase
04-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Well, it interests me because as soon as I detail my truck, I like to drive it. Normally I get done with it in the evening, and that seems to be where there are the most bugs.

I also have fenders that stick out for the rear tires, and my truck is real contoured, so rocks hit it a lot as well as bugs.

I dont have a problem reapplying it, because by the time it needs to be taken off, the truck needs washed again. So it would work out.

Bill D
04-03-2006, 02:22 PM
I highly recommend these types of products. You`ll be saving not only time by not having to mechanically remove the bugs, in the long run, you`ll also be saving your finish from the acid of the bug gut. Damage is at it peak during the hot months.

imported_Aurora40
04-03-2006, 02:55 PM
I use it. It`s pretty useful for bugs. It`s not a miracle product, but it works well enough that I usually apply it before long drives and such. It is easy to apply and to wash off, though rain will make a bit of a mess with it.

nonwelder
04-04-2006, 06:30 AM
Aurora...which one do you use? I really need to order some soon. Interested in your thoughts!

wannafbody
04-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Duplicolor`s Shield is avalable at Advance and Walmart for about $7-its a spray on bug shield that washes off with water and won`t wash off in rain

Sherman8r44
04-04-2006, 08:20 AM
its a spray on bug shield that washes off with water and won`t wash off in rain

How the hell does it manage that? :confused: