PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to QD between KSG applications

tlak
04-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Is it OK to QD with Sonus Acrylic Spritz between KSG applications.

I drove the car after KSG application yesterday and I was thinking about QD instead of washing today again.

:think: ?

thanks

White95Max
04-02-2006, 01:07 PM
I say yes. After all, it is acrylic. I don`t see why using an acrylic-based QD would hurt anything if you`re going to apply an acrylic-based sealant afterward.

Wasatch
04-02-2006, 01:47 PM
I would have to agree with White95Max. Any QD except one with a carnauba base should be fine.

tlak
04-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks White95Max and John Styrnol, I did it already. I still want to add 3rd layer of KSG (need to wait till next weekend) and after that 3 layers of Collinite 845.

I am very pleased with AIO and KSG so far. I applied AIO using PC with Sonus SFX-2 one layer, before that I clayed with Mothers clay+QD, and I used Mags step one paint cleaner - probably didn’t have to.

I used Concours Pocket Applicator and Concours Buffing Towel to buff of KSG. I like the Applicator but I had some problems with the towel - seams like some of the treads were puling of the towel :(

Is there such a thing like applying KSG too fine?

thanks again

White95Max
04-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Is there such a thing like applying KSG too fine?

As long as there is a thin residue of KSG on the entire surface, no. You may not even be able to see the residue on the surface. You certainly can`t see it on my silver paint when I apply a sealant. If I`m ever wondering whether I`m still spreading product around, I just rub my applicator on one of the windows (black tint) or a chrome badge to see if there is still a residue being applied with it.

tlak
04-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Good idea :)

I can definitely see KSG on the paint I do small area at the time than buff off with MF before going to the next section.

Do you also spray QD on the applicator at the beginning? - other posts were suggesting that and I find it assuring that I don`t screech paint with dry applicator :)

ntoddalbert
04-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Foe me Sonus took my already incredible view of Klasse to an entirely new level. I would not consider using Klasse without it. Make sure your using the acrylic Sonus though......

David B had a post about mixing up some Sonus and Klasse, tried it, easy on and off and durability did not seem to be affected

Good Luck

White95Max
04-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes I think it`s a good idea to mist a bit of QD on the pad before starting. It shouldn`t hurt anything.

For the record, I have used SG twice now, but not on my paint yet.

shortspark
04-02-2006, 07:34 PM
If you want to QD between SG layers try mixing 1 part SG with 3 parts distilled water and place in a very fine sprayer or mister bottle.

Jesstzn
04-02-2006, 08:09 PM
To me .. if your going to QD instead of wash your risking marring from the QD and also risking leaving dust on the paint to be rubbed in with the next layer of SG ... one grain of grit on the applicator and you are in for more work than you think your saving.

ntoddalbert
04-03-2006, 02:20 AM
Boy I misread your original post, wash it!

I thought you were talking about a clean car.

Too many late nights lately

White95Max
04-03-2006, 09:53 AM
I say it depends how far he drove it, and in what conditions. If he only drove a couple miles on dry roads, a QD should be perfectly fine. If he drove 50 miles, or in the rain, that`s another thing.

tlak
04-03-2006, 04:59 PM
I drove about 15 miles, no rain no sun no wind. I know that I was risking scratches, but I used good amount of QD and was really carefully. I inspected car today morning in the sun and I am sure that I didn`t add any screeches. Just being curious - isn`t dry washing and using car duster with QD the same risky as what I did yesterday?

Thanks for comments anyhow :)

klnyc
04-03-2006, 05:31 PM
I would do a quick wash. I dont fully trust QD at all, esp when you applying sealant. Sorry, its my 2cents, no need to flame me ;)