PDA

View Full Version : Real noob question but I`m gonna ask anyway (long)

KELVINATOR
04-02-2006, 01:03 AM
Just recently found this site and got interested in detailing. I have been searching and reading everything and got information overload. I know alot of what is said here is a personal opinion but personal experience with a product far outweighs a manufacturer`s claims. I own 2 daily driver white cars (4runner and Cobra Mustang) and 1 garage queen (69 RS Z/28 recently painted in black). Here is the dreaded question that I hope I don`t get flamed to much for this: What do you guys recommend for products for my vehicles from the beginning to end? I don`t mind spending the $$$ as long as my wife doesn`t see the total bill :nervous2: . I think my white cars and black one need different products. I know this is such a large and encompassing question but the more I read the more I realize ...I don`t understand squat! If you got the time, I`d really appreciate it. Just want to buy good quality products that worked well for most.

thanks again

greenest of greenhorns,

Kelvin

gtbaka
04-02-2006, 01:12 AM
That is pretty broad. It all boils down to taste. Need more information regarding what you are trying to accomplish.

Looks? Durability? Something in Between?

Will you be using a machine? Will you purchase one?

Setec Astronomy
04-02-2006, 01:31 AM
One of the basics that long-time members here will emphasize is that process is more important than product. By using the appropriate process with the apppropriate products, almost any product can do a satisfactory job. Here`s some basics for you to look at: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html . Your white and black cars don`t really need different products, but they may require different levels of attention, or more steps. Agressive polishing may leave hazing on your black car which which will have to be removed by an additional step, but won`t be visible on your white cars, for instance.

What are you using now? If the answer is nothing, you might consider this kit: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-pershine-kit.html along with some car washing supplies. That won`t break the bank.

I know it can be overwhelming here in the beginning. One approach is to decide on a product line or a store (brick and mortar or online) which tickles your fancy, and just go with that. The selection from almost any manufacturer or store can yield excellent results if applied correctly. Most of the endless product analysis and nitpicking that goes on here (myself included) is to get to the 10/10ths of detailing, you can get to 8/10ths with almost any product.

If you can give us an idea of what kind of condition your cars are in now, what you use now, whether you intend to work by hand or machine, perhaps some specific recommendations can be made.

DSVWGLI
04-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Welcome to the obsession :welcome . I know it seems like over load but keep reading and it will soon make a lot more sence. As far as what to buy? a Porter Cable DA polisher would be a good start as this is a lot more effective than by hand. Compounds and polishes are a personal preference but the ones discussed here are all great. My fave`s are Optimum and poor boys. Go to the learn section read everything you can, and also do searches for specific questions, then feel free to ask all the questions you want.

My arsenal :

Porter Cable polisher

lots of foam pads: Cutting, polishing, finning etc.

Many brands of polishes, compounds, glazes, waxes, sealents ect.

Lots of micro fiber towels

Many types of rubber and plastic dressings

Plastic polishes, chrome polishes, aluminum polishes, glass polishes.

Wheel cleaners

and a ton of other stuff that I`m just too tired to think of right now.

Good luck :xyxthumbs

KELVINATOR
04-02-2006, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have recently purchased a PC but still need the backing and pad which I saw a kit for sale in the autopia store. My daily drivers need some polishing work. My Z`s paint bc/cc is still fresh but I can see some minor swirls from the cutting and buffing done at the paint shop. For my Z looks is everything. For my other cars, I want a balance of durability and looks. One product that I wanted to try was ONR. I know thats the least of my worries but oh well... The only products that I have been using on the drivers has been "race glaze", mothers over the counter multi step wax/polish and I tried the megs gold class. Nothing is on the Z yet. Paint is almost two months old.

Accumulator
04-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Kelvinator- Welcome to Autopia!

The paint on your Z is almost cured. In a few more weeks it should be safe to wax it. I`d probably use Meg`s #80 Speed Glaze (don`t mind the name, it`s really a light polish) to remove the marring and prep the finish, and then top that with Souveran (or P21S/S100 if you want to save some money). Those products work, are user-friendly, and should look great.

For the white daily drivers, you could try using the #80 and then top with a wax from Collinite. These last a long time and are sorta self-cleaning in the rain. Very impressive beading too, which is a nice touch (you, and everybody else, can see it`s *WAXED*).

Another polish choice that I`d recommend without reservation, at least for the daily drivers, is 1Z Paint Polish. You could compare it with the Meg`s #80, they`re kinda similar.

There are myriad other approaches (I use a different one on each of our vehicles :o ) but the two above are simple and effective ways to start out with this stuff. It`s easy to over-complicate this stuff and get overwhelmed (and/or in over your head ;) ).

One thing you ought *really* concentrate on IMO is wash technique. I bet most marring/swirls/etc. comes from people washing incorrectly. Tougher than you might think. I`d get a foamgun and study up on how we use them to wash.

gtbaka
04-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Check out PakShak.com

If you live on the island of Oahu you can buy products from there local distributor. Save yourself some shipping.

They have some boutique polishes you might want to check out if you want somehthing other than meg`s. Like Optimum, Zaino, Poorboy`s, ClearKote, Menzerna they sell 1Z there too.

But I couldn`t agree anymore with Accumulator on the LSP`s. (Last Step Products). The only other thing I can add is, possibly using a sealant instead of a wax on the daily drivers. But Collinite is as tough as your gonna get from a wax. Or you can top the sealant with the 845 and have the best of both worlds.

KELVINATOR
04-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Appreciate the info. I looked into the collinite and wondered which one to get (845, 915, or 476s)? I will definitely be getting the souveran for the Z.

thanks

Accumulator
04-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Appreciate the info. I looked into the collinite and wondered which one to get (845, 915, or 476s)? I will definitely be getting the souveran for the Z...

The 915 is their "boutique" wax. They only make it because some people want to think they`re getting something special. The guys at Collinite actually poke fun at this stuff saying "it just smells better"; they don`t use it themselves and they readily admit they don`t understand why people buy it! So I`d skip that one :D

The 476S is their paste wax. IIRC, the 885 FleetWax is the same stuff in bigger cans (more economical, but I just buy the 476S myself). This is the most durable choice.

The 845 is their "gel" wax. People used to call it a liquid but it`s so thick that now it even says "paste wax" on the container. Looks a little better than the paste, though the very minor differences sorta disappear after a few washes. Durable, but not quite as much so as the 476S/885. A little easier to use than the 476s/885.

You won`t go wrong with either the 476S/885 or the 845. I have both, I like both. But somehow, being sorta a traditionalist, I kinda like the 476S better. But plenty of people go the other way too, so flip a coin if you don`t have a paste/~liquid preference.

I can get the 845 at the local AutoZone, but I ordered the 476S direct from Collinite.

Topping the Collinite with Souveran does make it look a little better if you feel like giving the daily drivers a bit of pizzaz ;)

KELVINATOR
04-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for clarifying that for me!