PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with "New Car" Piant?

Sveta
02-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Seems like no matter how careful I have been I am finally seeing very fine washing (?) lines. Have always used #7 or VM, Carnauba or sealnats applied by hand.

I`m not sure I feel comfortable putting the PC on the paint as there is this "feeling" that that crystal clear clearcoat will be "hazed" even with a light abrassive like SSR1 (which I don`t think levels down enough CC to get even super fine lines) and a "non-abrassive polish" like AIO doesn`t really get them either. I PC abused and obviously "bad" paint and improve them a lot, but there are always those "deep" scratches that don`t get "removed" and I find that can be lived with anyway to save CC depth.

Correcting some "dealer swirls" cleaned things up on a small area near the lower rear bumper of this white car, but there is a very very very slight but perceptable loose of surface "clarity" no matter how much the "swirls" seem to have been "removed". You see this non-clarity look best using a SINGLE LIGHT BULB in the dark garage, if you follow me.

QUESTION: What product, pad and technique do you use to restore that perfectly clear finish to a clear coat. Or is that an impossibilty due to the nature of using abrassives to remove CC?

Sure hope this makes sense and I`m not asking too complicated or rookie of a question. I am obviously not clicking on something because I never can get that super clean and clear look using a PC. Technique? What? Help appreciated. I would rather see a few washing lines then "cloady" up the nice CC on this car.

kimwallace
02-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Products like #7, because of the oils they leave behind will cloud the clear. The clearest, brightest, most reflective finish I have obtained was achieved by finishing with Poorboys SSR1 on a Meguiars Polishing pad at max speed on the PC. I usually directly top that with UPP but am positive that EX-P will give you a very clear look also. If you want to top with a carnauba, I suggest Nattys because it is also very clear looking.
You are correct, SSR 1 will remove only the slightest marring. If you need something stronger step up to SSR 2 with a polishing pad or if more is needed use a cutting pad followed by a polishing pad.
I believe that the clear is in the best condition when sprayed on the vehicle and start going down hill from that moment forward. Polishing paint is in effect a process of reducing scratches until they are no longer visible to the human eye!

Jngrbrdman
02-25-2005, 02:34 PM
The first thing I did with my new car after cleaing off all the goo from the shipping sheets was to hit it with DACP and 4*SMR. No haze and no swirls now. ;)

dalmore
02-25-2005, 03:21 PM
I think the trick to get that full shine you want is fully working the polish until it nearly disappears on it`s own. PC on max helps but 5 or so will do it. Just takes more time. Try working it a little longer instead of stopping when you think it`s done.

SOG35
02-25-2005, 04:33 PM
I agree with the above posters. Use SSR1 on speed 5 or 6 with polish pad. There should not be any hazing. Make sure you work the product really good. Also remember that if you are working on a humid day hazing may be unavoidable.

Sveta
02-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Also remember that if you are working on a humid day hazing may be unavoidable.

Could you explain how or why this happens? I`ve never heard this before.