PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating Minor Scratches

ET Awful
04-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Okay, after much effort today, I succeeded in eliminating some minor scratches on one side of my hood, however, thanks to being in a garage with flourescent lights, I discovered more scratches that I want to get rid of, but didn`t have time today.

I`ve been using Poorboys SSR 2.5 thus far with okay results (just required numerous applications to get it done using a Swirlbuster pad).

My question is this would I be served better by using SSR 3 (which I`d have to order) with the Swirlbuster pad and a PC?

Like I say, the SSR 2.5 seems to work, but takes a LONG time to work (numerous applications). Should I just order up some 3? Or is there another PC compatible scratch remover that you`d suggest?

This is on a Nighthawk Black Pearl Honda Element.

Thanks!

ET Awful

ET Awful
04-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Nobody? :(

Accumulator
04-02-2006, 09:47 AM
I don`t use the SSR stuff so I dunno how helpful I can be...but it *often* takes multiple applications to effect correction via PC. Sometimes it`ll literally take hours to get a panel perfect (which is why so many people prefer the Cyclo and/or a rotary). So what you`re going through doesn`t sound weird or unreasonable.

If you`re ordering stuff, I`d get a small backing plate and some 4" pads. They make the PC much more aggressive for scratch correction.

WSUcommuter
04-02-2006, 09:50 AM
If you`re ordering stuff, I`d get a small backing plate and some 4" pads. They make the PC much more aggressive for scratch correction.

How much more aggresive? In terms of time taken or actual cutting ability?

Accumulator
04-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Both. I`ll put it this way- the *only* time I`ve ever damaged b/c paint with a PC/Cyclo/hand was using the PC with a 4" polishing pad and a fairly mild product (3M 05933, with which I`m very familiar). The old "you can`t hurt paint with a PC" thing does not apply with 4" pads, it`s *that* much more aggressive! Don`t want that to scare people off, and it doesn`t turn it into a rotary, but it`s worth considering. It really does take the PC to another level, primarily (IMO) because you can really put some pressure on the PC without it bogging down. So don`t do as I did and really lean on the thing too much ;)

DSVWGLI
04-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Get some ssr 3 if you don`t need it now you will eventually. I`m not familiar with swirlbuster pads but SSR 2.5 and a cutting pad will take out most scratches just not the deeper ones. Thats what you need SSR 3 for. SSR 3 will leave some hazing that SSR 2.5 will take out. Finish everything up with a polishing pad and SSR 2.5 or finer polish.

ET Awful
04-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks!

The 4" plate and pads may be the way to go. . . :).

I tell ya though, the EX-P followed by Nattys Blue is NICE :)

Thanks Accumulator. I won`t be able to try again until next weekend, but I`ll order the 4" pads this week and hopefully have them by then. I`m thinking just the plate and a med and light cutting pad will be sufficient for now. Should be pretty low cost too.

I was happy to get the one nasty scratch out that was ticking me off so bad. Just wish I`d had more time to work on it yesterday.

edit: Actually, they had the "Spot Buff Kit" on sale at Pinnacle (who is giving free shipping right now on all orders). So got a full set of pads, the plate, and two mf towels for $35 shipped :)

Accumulator
04-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Sounds good. Just take it a little easy during the get-acquainted period and remember to say "good enough" if you`re ever in doubt about whether you`re getting too aggressive.