PDA

View Full Version : New here with Product Questions.

MikeWLS1
03-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Okay to be blunt, I`ve never used any other wax on my cars other than Turtles Wax... It hasn`t failed me yet but I`ve noticed everyone in the detailing industry strays away from it... Why is that? any flaws or is it just purely outmatched? What is a good Polish / Wax system to go into the detailing business with? Would it be best to order wax or is over the counter wax like Meguiars and Mothers sufficient enough? Also at the moment I`m TRYING to start on a budget however I do know that consumer`s finish is HIGHLY important...

Thanks in advanced...

Joshua312
03-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Mothers has really stepped up their line...For OTC I dont think they can be beat. If you can find them near you...Im sure you will be pleased, do a search for the Mothers Reflections line or Mothers FX to see some results and reviews.

Whenever I think of Mothers for OTC...This thread always pops in my head:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61073&highlight=mothers+300C

here is another helpful thread:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64759&highlight=mothers+300C

Good Luck! Dont be afraid to ask more questions about these products if need be.

gbackus
03-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Okay to be blunt, I`ve never used any other wax on my cars other than Turtles Wax... It hasn`t failed me yet but I`ve noticed everyone in the detailing industry strays away from it... Why is that? any flaws or is it just purely outmatched? What is a good Polish / Wax system to go into the detailing business with? Would it be best to order wax or is over the counter wax like Meguiars and Mothers sufficient enough? Also at the moment I`m TRYING to start on a budget however I do know that consumer`s finish is HIGHLY important...

Thanks in advanced...

I would highly advise against doing anyone car`s other your own`s and imidate family members and/or close friends until you get more experience under your belt.

imported_NT2SHBBY
03-30-2006, 01:08 PM
IMO, turtle wax is old school garbage-I never thought it was good when it was popular-I was always a blue coral man way back when...

also, with today`s technological advances, the way has been paved for better/easier waxes/sealants...

If you are hard-pressed for cash, some OTC products will suffice (I`d go with Meguiars Detailers line for OTC)...if you can splurge there are sooo much better out there

Hell, even PoorBoy`s stuff is relatively cheap and quality

MikeWLS1
03-30-2006, 01:08 PM
I would highly advise against doing anyone car`s other your own`s and imidate family members and/or close friends until you get more experience under your belt.

I`ll heed that advice, but any product recommendations? Also not that I intend on using turtle`s wax on anyone elses car, but... whats wrong with it?

bjackson8
03-30-2006, 01:19 PM
I`ll heed that advice, but any product recommendations? Also not that I intend on using turtle`s wax on anyone elses car, but... whats wrong with it?

There is actually nothing wrong with Turtle wax, it`s just that there are other products that are MUCH better. Much better meaning easier to use, more durable and with a better look on the car.

If you are set on purchasing all of your products OTC, there are still alot of good choices.

Meguiars ColorX is a pretty good paint cleaner/one-step for OTC

Mothers PowerPolish is a good OTC polish

Meguiars #26 and NXT are great OTC waxes, plus there are many others that are just as good.

I think that the consencious that you will get here is that after you use some of the better products, you will never even think about going back to Turtle Wax.

pogo123
03-30-2006, 04:45 PM
IMO, turtle wax is old school garbage-I never thought it was good when it was popular-I was always a blue coral man way back when...

Actually, with proper prep any wax will look good, and the Turtle Wax Platinum Ultra Gloss Paste Wax leaves an awesome finish with a great shine and slickness. It is somewhat lacking in durability, but will rival many of the boutique waxes for looks and ease of use. It certainly isn`t my go to wax, but don`t knock it till you`ve tried it.