PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to Wash too Much???

SOG35
02-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Just wondering if I`m washing too much. My car is black which is a really tough color to keep clean. Usually I do one QEW on a weekday and a regular wash on the weekend. Is this too much washing? = micromaring?

Sometimes I try to wash only once a week, but after 5 days the car looks terrible! By the way I do use the two bucket method with sheepskin mitt & dry with waffle MF. I also polish twice a year. Should I continue this twice a week thing or once a week?

CharlesW
02-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Just wondering if I`m washing too much. My car is black which is a really tough color to keep clean. Usually I do one QEW on a weekday and a regular wash on the weekend. Is this too much washing? = micromaring?

Sometimes I try to wash only once a week, but after 5 days the car looks terrible! By the way I do use the two bucket method with sheepskin mitt & dry with waffle MF. I also polish twice a year. Should I continue this twice a week thing or once a week?At some point, I guess you could "wash too much", but I don`t think you have reached that point just yet. If you have, I`m in real trouble. My guideline is if the vehicle is dirty, wash it. In exceptional circumstances that has been 3 times in one day. Often, twice a week and I might keep a vehicle for many years. Haven`t washed or polished the paint off of them.

I did polish the paint off of an old van with my first and last use of a rotary, but that`s a different story.

Charles

membim
02-24-2005, 02:26 PM
I agree with Charles. Keep in mind, washing your car twice a week is much better for your car than dirt and road grime. Washing that much does limit how long your LSP lasts. But at the same time, if you wash that often (I do as well!) you can dilute your washing solution down because the car is not THAT dirty. This well help lessen the stripping effect on your LSP.

Don`t forget to use a nice QD after washing. I think this really helps LSPs when washing my black car often as you do. I like to use a QD that matches my LSP. For example, I use 4* Ultimate Gloss Enhancer when my LSP is 4* Ultimate Paint Protection and I use Pinnacle Crystal Mist when my LSP is Pinnacle Souveran. I also will use the car wash of that brand as well.

Hope this helps!!!! :)

SOG35
02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
thanks for the advice!

anyway, do you folks know if QEW`s strip off sealent as much as regular car wash? Also if I am washing twice a week, how often should I apply my EX-P? Right now I do it about every sixty days.

membim
02-25-2005, 05:58 PM
I haven`t used QEW so I can`t answer that question but if you apply EX-P every 60 days, you are always keeping a nice layer of protection on your car. I usually wax or seal my car every other month as well.

rabbi
02-25-2005, 06:47 PM
Weather permitting I try to wash my car twice a week. I`ve seen no problems yet.

Bill D
02-25-2005, 07:11 PM
If marring as a result of washing is a concern, extremely careful washing techniques are essential. Some are understandably uneasy about the concept of QEW because no rinsing via hose is involved. I would say very good judgment is the key to deciding when/if to use QEW. I would also use plenty of mitts when washing :QEW or full wash. Replenish water for mitts as often as allowable,address the dirtiest area last, re-wash parts if needed, NEVER rush, etc.

Delicate drying techniques and materials are the next necessity. Which ever ones you choose, again, don`t rush and never "scrub" the finish with them. Just like mitts, monitor their cleanliness often and change promptly if needed.