PDA

View Full Version : So many Clay Bars

Pages : [1] 2

Rocket
03-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Well I dropped my Tropi-care clay bar on the ground today while I was claying the truck so it`s time to get another one. I still have half of this one left but I figure I would go a head and get at least one more to have on hand.

I was looking and there are so many to chose from. Fine, ultra fine... and several brands. Any suggestions? I was thinking of getting both a fine and ultra fine to have for tougher jobs

gtbaka
03-27-2006, 12:28 AM
For the most part, many of them perform more or less the same. And in most cases, they are the same, from the same producer, just packaged/colored for individual brand.

Accumulator
03-27-2006, 10:57 AM
I`ve boiled it down to two claybars and now I never use anything else. Both from Sonus (the Autopia store/Better Car Care). Gray for infrequent, serious cleaning and Green for regular, light cleaning (that won`t even strip the LSP). I used another clay (a well known yellow one) that I`d used for years the other day just to use it up- and was so disgusted with its performance I simply pitched it and went to the Sonus gray.

I don`t know what`s different about the Sonus clays (besides the green one being so gentle), but this was a night and day difference and about as close to a side-by-side comparison as you can get. I was using the Sonus to clean the yellow clay residue off the vehicle and it was *still* picking up more contamination than the yellow clay did. A clearly superior product.

ZaneO
03-27-2006, 11:00 AM
I`ve boiled it down to two claybars and now I never use anything else. Both from Sonus (the Autopia store/Better Car Care). Gray for infrequent, serious cleaning and Green for regular, light cleaning (that won`t even strip the LSP). I used another clay (a well known yellow one) that I`d used for years the other day just to use it up- and was so disgusted with its performance I simply pitched it and went to the Sonus gray.

I don`t know what`s different about the Sonus clays (besides the green one being so gentle), but this was a night and day difference and about as close to a side-by-side comparison as you can get. I was using the Sonus to clean the yellow clay residue off the vehicle and it was *still* picking up more contamination than the yellow clay did. A clearly superior product.

Hmm. I`ll have to try the Sonus clays sometime.

Do you know how the Souns clay compares to Clay Magic?

Accumulator
03-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Do you know how the Souns clay compares to Clay Magic?

Heh heh, you got me there :nixweiss Clay Magic is about the best known of all consumer clays and I`ve never even tried it :o (my local places don`t stock it)

I`d like to hear a comparison report from somebody who`s used both the Sonus gray and the Clay Magic. The Sonus green will impress you, I`m sure of that. But it`s too mild for serious claying. Should be just right for your F-body though ;) Those pics of yours from the recent gathering have stuck in my mind :D

ZaneO
03-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Thank you. :)

Rocket
03-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Well I`ve only used Clay Magic blue bar and Tropi-care. I liked them both and they worked about equal but I thought I would try another brand to compair. I`ve been looking at the Sonus bars since this little banner keeps flashing at me when I post :)

gtbaka
03-27-2006, 04:01 PM
I used another clay (a well known yellow one) that I`d used for years the other day just to use it up- and was so disgusted with its performance I simply pitched it and went to the Sonus gray.

Hmmm. Pinnacle? Zaino?

ZaneO
03-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Hmmm. Pinnacle? Zaino?

and Mother`s.

Accumulator
03-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Actually the yellow clay I used was some Griot`s (gee, maybe not such a well known one after all :o ), which I`ve found indistinguishable from Mother`s.

FWIW, I`ve read/heard lots of marring stories related to the Pinnacle clay, dunno why but marring seems to come more with their stuff (the Poly Clay IIRC) than with others. Just the impression I get from what people say, not first-hand experience.

DocHoliday
03-27-2006, 05:23 PM
They really are all about the same. Just go to a autoparts store and look for blue clay magic or some Megs, you cant go wrong with any of them

mr.ikon
03-27-2006, 06:05 PM
anyone ever try the carbrite clay? maybe im the only one to try it out for 24 bucks a bar? i know someone else in this world has used it. cmon.

RAG
03-27-2006, 06:31 PM
I too think most are the same, except the sonus green ultra fine does appear to be pretty gentle but has a tendancy to cling to the paint if not lubricated really really well. I very much like the Opti-clay for general use, but as a professional I always polish after claying so I prefer the most aggressive clay I can get my hands on...I now primarily use the Clay Magic Med (grey). Patrick can verify that I probably go through two or three bars of this stuff a week (rust contamination is horrendous in my area).

Flatfour
03-27-2006, 10:21 PM
? I did about 30 cars with my clay bar (from Swissol) and it`s still performing well, must be really good stuff then....

ABS
03-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Hi guys,

Anyone tried using Opti-clay from Optimum? how is it compared to others?