PDA

View Full Version : Gunk engine cleaning

blownvert
03-26-2006, 08:40 AM
I just picked this stuff up after using simple green automotive engine cleaner. I wanted to try something new, well it still kind of cold so the hose is off. Can I spray the gunk and then use a steam cleaner to clean it off or should I just use a steam cleaner to clean engine? I dont have a hose right now to wet engine down. What can I do?

White95Max
03-26-2006, 09:09 AM
I almost never use a hose. I spray the cleaner on a cheap MF towel and wipe the engine by hand. Then wipe it down again with a dry MF. If you really want to be thorough, you can wipe it down with a MF towel dampened with water before drying, to act as a "rinse" step.

imported_hadboosttroy
03-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I just used gunk citrus cleaner on the wrx the other day, honestly, i really think you should wait until you are able to rinse it.

blownvert
03-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Isnt a steam cleaner good to spray it down and get the dirt off? How could I spray on MF towel and get in tight spots, I want the whole engine not just the top, like underneath and around in corners you know. A towel wiping everything I dont think will hit everywhere.

Accumulator
03-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, getting in the nooks and crannies is a pain.

If you spray the Gunk stuff on to where it`ll get everywhere, I`d do a very thorough rinsing.

I was steaming some stuff in the engine compartment of the `84 RX-7 yesterday, and there was a definite limit to what it could do. It works OK on regular grease and dirt, but baked-on stuff just didn`t budge until I got some solvent on it. Sometimes you just need a chemical. I dunno how well the steamer would work for a rinse...and I`d be a little careful about protecting yourself as the combo of pressure, steam, and the Gunk might not be the friendliest stuff.

I always end up using a bunch of brushes and a zillion swabs, but these are engine compartments where I don`t want to be spraying a lot of water for one reason or another. When I`m not worried about the water I`ll just soak stuff with the engine cleaner, let it dwell, and hose it off. Though I really oughta use the pressure washer for some of these jobs...I use the steamer more for limited areas where I can get right at the area in question.

blownvert
03-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Yeah, getting in the nooks and crannies is a pain.

If you spray the Gunk stuff on to where it`ll get everywhere, I`d do a very thorough rinsing.

I was steaming some stuff in the engine compartment of the `84 RX-7 yesterday, and there was a definite limit to what it could do. It works OK on regular grease and dirt, but baked-on stuff just didn`t budge until I got some solvent on it. Sometimes you just need a chemical. I dunno how well the steamer would work for a rinse...and I`d be a little careful about protecting yourself as the combo of pressure, steam, and the Gunk might not be the friendliest stuff.

I always end up using a bunch of brushes and a zillion swabs, but these are engine compartments where I don`t want to be spraying a lot of water for one reason or another. When I`m not worried about the water I`ll just soak stuff with the engine cleaner, let it dwell, and hose it off. Though I really oughta use the pressure washer for some of these jobs...I use the steamer more for limited areas where I can get right at the area in question.

Well you answered my questions, I dont know if I should try and spray the gunk and then steam clean it. I rather have pure water and rinse it. Im going to just steam clean it try right now see how it comes out. :)

Accumulator
03-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah, good idea. The steaming will at least let you know what [stuff] is gonna take some extra effort. Have plenty of towels handy, especially if it`s cold (talk about condensation!).