PDA

View Full Version : Collinite Insulator Wax

Pages : [1] 2

66#1
03-25-2006, 03:38 PM
I didn`t have much luck with the first coat of IW I applied in December. It was pretty much gone by early March. There was almost zero beading and I was really disappointed. It still looked good and felt pretty slick though.

I put another coat on 3 weeks ago when it was about 80 degrees. The Collinite spread much better after leaving the bottle out in the sun for about an hour. It was really easy to spread the IW out in a thin coat in the warm weather as opposed to December. I used WAY too much the first time.

We`ve had a ton of rain the last 3 weeks and I drove in the rain last weekend quite a bit. The car was covered in road film. There hardly beading at all on the top surfaces of the car, but the sides still beaded nicely. I was getting ready to put a flame suit on and give a not-so-favorable review of this product.

I gave the car a wash today witha healthy dose of Zaino Z7 car wash. The beads came back nice and tight on the hood and pretty decent on the top and trunk and rear bumper. The sides beaded really nice and tight and the rear of the car did too. The beading on the top surfaces was somewhat diminished I thought compared to the sides, but not bad at all

I really think Collinite Insulator wax could possibly go 6 months, but I can`t stand to go that long.

imported_flatstick
03-25-2006, 05:24 PM
I didn`t have much luck with the first coat of IW I applied in December. It was pretty much gone by early March. There was almost zero beading and I was really disappointed. It still looked good and felt pretty slick though.

I put another coat on 3 weeks ago when it was about 80 degrees. The Collinite spread much better after leaving the bottle out in the sun for about an hour. It was really easy to spread the IW out in a thin coat in the warm weather as opposed to December. I used WAY too much the first time.

We`ve had a ton of rain the last 3 weeks and I drove in the rain last weekend quite a bit. The car was covered in road film. There hardly beading at all on the top surfaces of the car, but the sides still beaded nicely. I was getting ready to put a flame suit on and give a not-so-favorable review of this product.

I gave the car a wash today witha healthy dose of Zaino Z7 car wash. The beads came back nice and tight on the hood and pretty decent on the top and trunk and rear bumper. The sides beaded really nice and tight and the rear of the car did too. The beading on the top surfaces was somewhat diminished I thought compared to the sides, but not bad at all

I really think Collinite Insulator wax could possibly go 6 months, but I can`t stand to go that long.

Take this for what is worth but I would like to offer a suggestion. when I apply 845 I always do 2 coats. from what I read you only did one correct ? it seems like it was dirty and the wash brought the 845 back to life :clap: not trying to be critical but just offer advice. just my two cents. keep us updated on you likes or dislikes of the product. glad you gave it a chance.

wannafbody
03-25-2006, 05:50 PM
IMO 5 months is very possible

dtailmycar
03-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Guys I`m planning to do a full detail on my car next month. With that In mind I`ll like to get some products, I already got waxes, sealant, glazes and light polishes, that for I`m missing some hards polishes and removers to do paint corrections. I like to get something good but I cannot afford anything to expensive since I have to pay shipping to PR zip 00917. I ask: I know you guys are Menzerna and Optimun fan but, Is there anything cheaper that works similar? can I get good results with poorboys and propel pads? If that`s the case what 2 product combination should I get? ssr2.5 + ssr1? Your advice would be most apprecciated....THANKS !!!

Accumulator
03-25-2006, 06:20 PM
If the circumstances allow for it, you might try more frequent washes. I find that once the [stuff] builds up to a certain extent it seems to compromise the LSP a little (besides being a pain to wash off). I`ve had that "beading comes back" thing happen quite often; sometimes it seems like the beading is dead after a wash (judging by what happens during my rinse) but the next time it rains the beads are back just fine.

Scottwax
03-25-2006, 06:22 PM
I`ve had 845 on a customer`s white Expidition since October. It is March and it still beads nicely. Slickness is down but the paint still look good. On a Hummer though, it seemed about done at 3 months. :nixweiss

Still not going to complain about 3 months durability with a carnauba!

hd-nut
03-25-2006, 06:39 PM
66#1

was your surface prepped before you used IW?

I have found that IW comes back very nicely after the

next coat, During the N.Y winters it is tough to sneak in

a coat but sure looks good.

66#1
03-26-2006, 12:50 AM
66#1

was your surface prepped before you used IW?

I have found that IW comes back very nicely after the

next coat, During the N.Y winters it is tough to sneak in

a coat but sure looks good.

Back in December on the initial coat, I used ColorX applied with a PC 7336 with an Orange Sonus Pad. It left a very slick and smooth finish, and it looked very,very good also.

This was on my white beater `90 Sunbird that my wife got when it was nearly new. It still has the original paint. I had some AIO left and some Menzerna IP, but I wanted to do just the ColorX. I also topped the combo with Zaino Z8 for kicks.

It made for a good combo, but it`s not nearly as nice looking or slick as the Menzerna IP/AIO/3 coats of Z5/ZFX/Z8 I used back in the Summer.

If the circumstances allow for it, you might try more frequent washes. I find that once the [stuff] builds up to a certain extent it seems to compromise the LSP a little (besides being a pain to wash off). I`ve had that "beading comes back" thing happen quite often; sometimes it seems like the beading is dead after a wash (judging by what happens during my rinse) but the next time it rains the beads are back just fine.

IW makes for the easiest clean up of road film I`ve ever seen! Stuff just comes right off! I drove for 70 miles in a driving rain with trucks passing etc, so I had a pretty good buildup of roadfilm. Since the application a couple of weeks ago, we had one rain of about two inches and I think it rained over 4 inches or more last weekend! It never stopped and often times it was just blinding rain. I mean there was ZERO beading on the top surfaces.

The Zaino wash brought the beading back, and I know that Z7 is designed to "sheet" water also. The beading might actually get a lot beater next time it rains!

On the first coat, I think I was able to wash the car only once mostly due to rainy and cold weather between coats. Plus, I was really busy this winter also.

Has anybody used Gold Class wash with IW? I have a couple of bottles of Gold Class soap laying around that I need to use.

Accumulator
03-26-2006, 10:46 AM
On the first coat, I think I was able to wash the car only once mostly due to rainy and cold weather between coats. Plus, I was really busy this winter also..

Hope you didn`t think I was :nono about your wash habits. One of the nice things about the Collinites is how, as you said, they`ll sorta self-clean up to a point.

I`m not a huge fan of the GC wash, but plenty of people love it and I`ve never heard of it being really tough on IW or any other LSP.

66#1
03-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Hope you didn`t think I was :nono about your wash habits. One of the nice things about the Collinites is how, as you said, they`ll sorta self-clean up to a point.

I`m not a huge fan of the GC wash, but plenty of people love it and I`ve never heard of it being really tough on IW or any other LSP.

Oh no, I didn`t take it that way at all.

GC wash is ok, but it`s not my favorite either. I hate to just let it go to waste though.

EdLancer
03-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Lack of beading is not a good indication that the LSP is not still protecting. Any number of factors can inpede beading such as using quick detailers, types of wash soaps and water hardness.

n2_space
03-29-2006, 09:16 AM
I put 845 on two of my cars in late october and they still bead like crazy.... nice tight little beads and fly right off as soon as you drive.

Casebrius
03-29-2006, 12:55 PM
has anyone noted a product that beads better than 845?

wannafbody
03-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Collinite has the tightest smallest beads of anything I`ve used- I`d rank Mothers Reflections second

66#1
03-30-2006, 09:50 PM
We`re about to get a hard rain here! We`ll see if the beading has returned.