PDA

View Full Version : restoring my trucks "plastic runers"? pics included

Bulldog88
03-25-2006, 11:29 AM
my truck is 2 years old. i live in florida so constant sun / water (from rain or sprinklers) is hi, usually on my trucks "plastic runners". not sure what theyre called, im brand new to forums. knowing that these 2 elements will be constantly beating down , is there something i can rub on to bring back the shine and good look? ive used armor all but that ran and only lasted a few days.

ps i have no fancy tools, just rags and the usual weekend warrior accesories. any help is greatly apprciated!!

matt m

holland_patrick
03-25-2006, 11:35 AM
First i would suggest a good ALL PURPOSE CLEANER and clean them well 1 part APC to 15 parts water...

then I would suggest Poorboys trim restorer..

Poorboysworld.com

or from the sponcer site here

put it on and let it sit.. and sit and put more on.. and then Buf the heck out of it..

if you don`t do the buffinf part you`ll get runs.. and drips..

White95Max
03-25-2006, 01:06 PM
I would suggest Poorboys trim restorer..

put it on and let it sit.. and sit and put more on.. and then Buf the heck out of it..

if you don`t do the buffinf part you`ll get runs.. and drips..

Agreed 100%.

Bulldog88
03-25-2006, 02:08 PM
awesome thanks for the quick replies. i dont have a buffer. can i get similar results from just rubbin the crap out of it?

if not, can u reccomend a good but affordable buffer that i can buy? ive never used one before. any tips? can i screw up my trucks paint ?

stilez
03-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Temporary (but very good) fix: Poorboy`s Trim Restorer

Permanent (6 mos - 1 year) fix: http://www.topoftheline.com/trimmolreski.html

Anthony O.
03-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Temporary (but very good) fix: Poorboy`s Trim Restorer

Permanent (6 mos - 1 year) fix: http://www.topoftheline.com/trimmolreski.html

The trim dye would be my choice as it is pretty much permanent.

The cleaner alone may be all you need (GR40) so get the kit with cleaner included. If you feel you need to dye it then mask off the painted areas and apply the dye in the shade in light coats.

If possible remove the liner pieces and dye them while off the truck.....remember light coats are best. You can then apply the clear or just leave them the way they are. I can restore many pieces with just using the GR40 cleaner, great stuff!

Anthony

pogo123
03-25-2006, 04:28 PM
awesome thanks for the quick replies. i dont have a buffer. can i get similar results from just rubbin the crap out of it?

if not, can u reccomend a good but affordable buffer that i can buy? ive never used one before. any tips? can i screw up my trucks paint ?

Buffing by hand with a soft MF towel is all it takes.

Bulldog88
03-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Awesome,. Thanks Alot Guys!!

imported_truzoom
03-25-2006, 08:50 PM
They`re bed caps, IIRC? Lucky us Ford guys get them OEM.. some other brand trucks don`t even come with them.

Are you having serious fading issues? Using a simple OTC dressing and then buffing away the residue with an extra towel will do the trick. Try doing it after every wash.

Bulldog88
03-26-2006, 07:13 AM
ahh, bedcaps. that sounds more like it.

well ive always used rainX car wash, then id dry it, hit the tires with the wet tire stuff and im gold.

so is it the wax in the rainX thats makin em look faded like that or is it the sun damaging them??? what do u guys use to wash your cars/trucks??? also, u guys all sound so knowledgable, im gonna take a pic of another area im concerned about. maybe u can help me there too.

these are the window / mirror trim, molding. whatever u call it, its fading too. can i use the fore mentioned cleaners and poorboy stuff to bring these back as well?

novataco
03-26-2006, 08:07 AM
A cute girl in the passenger seat helps keep the car looking nice...

White95Max
03-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Yes you can use PB`s Trim Restorer on any plastic trim.

runnerbl
03-26-2006, 01:49 PM
ahh, bedcaps. that sounds more like it.

well ive always used rainX car wash, then id dry it, hit the tires with the wet tire stuff and im gold.

so is it the wax in the rainX thats makin em look faded like that or is it the sun damaging them??? what do u guys use to wash your cars/trucks??? also, u guys all sound so knowledgable, im gonna take a pic of another area im concerned about. maybe u can help me there too.

these are the window / mirror trim, molding. whatever u call it, its fading too. can i use the fore mentioned cleaners and poorboy stuff to bring these back as well?

I just did mine today with meguiars #40...I have an 05 FX4...turned them black...multiple coats...looks good...

gocona
03-26-2006, 02:03 PM
You might also want to try Mothers Back To Black, get for restoring color to any plastic molding or trim pieces. I use it and love it.

Quickstrike
03-26-2006, 05:12 PM
You might also want to try Mothers Back To Black, get for restoring color to any plastic molding or trim pieces. I use it and love it.

I can never get it to last. Looks stunning the first day, but then turns grey again within a few of days.