PDA

View Full Version : Subarus

shotime
02-23-2005, 10:14 PM
My parents are going to be buying a car soon and about the only car that fits what they want is a Subaru. I can see gas hitting $3/gal soon and they want to get rid of the Mountaineer at 16mpg. Right now they`re inbetween a Forrester and Outback. At the car show my dad thought the Forrester`s doors sounded hollow when they were shut, and he was right. But it`s also $3k less. The new Outbacks were beautiful, you can really tell they put some effort into interior materials. Subarus are one of the few vehicles I have no experience with so I know nothing about them. If anybody has info I`d like to know more about them from someone who does. Pics are nice also.

klnyc
02-23-2005, 10:26 PM
What about the Legacy GT turbo? 255hp aint too shappy :cool

holland_patrick
02-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Well I know what i like..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/2005/DSC04335.jpg

Oh ya get the turbo.....

Jngrbrdman
02-24-2005, 12:34 AM
If you do get the turbo then you can expect your MPG to be not much better than it is now. I have to drive like an old lady to see anything with a 2 in front of it in my Legacy GT. I average about 17 mpg right now. That is a far cry from the 28 I was getting with the Integra. I`m still learning how everything works on this thing. Its only my second tank of gas, so I`ll get used to it.

I detailed a Forrester last week. It was really nice. It has a great ride height. Getting in it was really easy. I liked the roomy interior too. Very nice car. I haven`t ever been in an Outback, but I hear those are nice too. As for the door sound... that is a Subaru trademark sound. lol They have always done that. It comes with having frameless windows on em.

Here`s my Legacy. Its no station wagon, but its a Subaru. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/ScoobySide.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/Scooby1.jpg

kimwallace
02-24-2005, 07:48 AM
No Pics, but my son has a 98 legacy outback wagon that he has driven 160,000 miles.
He has probably put $1500.00 into it for repairs not including normal wear items (brakes, filters, belts, etc.)
To me that is great.
Subaru has been the leader in all wheel drive vehicles for some time.

Bob
02-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Both cars are very nice. If you go with the Forester it is one of a VERY few SUV style vehicles that DO NOT require a roll over warning sticker. All Subaru metal is thin so don`t worry about it. You are still safe in it. ;)

As for the turbo, just remember that turbos require premium gas all the time so if gas price is a concern don`t go that route.

Inspector1
02-24-2005, 08:24 AM
They build a quality product. The only down side I have seen from them is the thin sheet metal is very susceptible to dings and dents(worse than any other vehicle I have seen) I inspect at least 3 or 4 a week and have yet to see one without any dings or dents.
Other than that their interior build quality is very good!!
I have also noticed that if you have repairs done at dealer it is expensive.
They are the Japanese equivalent of a European manufacturer.
They have also had some issues with speedo/odo., they are the only ones I have run across that have had speedo`s replaced in high #`s.. So if you are buying one used pay close attention for speedo replacement sticker in door jamb.

I1 :)

ernman
02-24-2005, 04:25 PM
My wife has a 2004 outback wagon, we love it. When we were shopping for it the sales person said that it was a ft. longer in the back and more rear leg room than the forester, that`s why we purchased it. I`m not sure of the price difference but I got a great deal on it. Sticker for 25500 - 2000 dealer discount - 2000 rebates - 2000 for trade + 3.9 for five years.

shotime
02-24-2005, 05:57 PM
I doubt they`d go for a turbo. They add more in maintenance and like stated, gas. My dad is very dull when it comes to cars, even the word turbo would make him shy away. Repairs don`t bother me, I can do everything except rebuild a tranny. I better learn Subarus quick because my brother is getting a WRX with in the next couple weeks. The #1 Subaru dealer in the US is just south of Rochester so that`s where we`ll be going. I`m hoping they`ll order a car so that the towel pushers haven`t had all winter to scratch it up with a snow broom. Of course it`s being requested to be delivered with the plastic wrap still on it. :)

laefd
02-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Send me a PM and I`d be happy to share my experience with my 1999 Forrester...both very very good and very very bad.

Jngrbrdman
02-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Seems like everybody lives next to the #1 Subaru dealership in the US. lol I`m on a Subaru forum and everybody talks about the place they bought their car being the #1 Dealership and they sell more than anybody. Even a guy up in Alaska claims that. I`m wondering who really is the #1 dealership....

shotime
02-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Maybe it`s a marketing scheem then? There`s 3 other ones around here and they don`t use that claim. Although there`s 2 Chevy dealers in Buffalo that say they`re the largest in the US. Buffalo has about the worst job market in the state, who`s buying all these Chevy`s?

Copy and paste from the website:
In just one year after opening Van Bortel Subaru, Kitty was inducted into the Subaru Chairman`s Roundtable-a select organization of the top 20 dealers in the nation who display excellence in sales and customer satisfaction. She has remained a member every year since 1992, and today Van Bortel Subaru maintains a 77% or more market share in Subaru sales in the Rochester area, an achievement that dates back to 1997. In 1999, van Bortel Subaru became the largest Subaru dealership in the nation, receiving Subaru Stellar Performer certification every year since 2001.