PDA

View Full Version : EX-P Questions, Please Help!

M3_POWER
03-24-2006, 10:15 AM
I just put on my first layer of EX-P with my PC (black finishing pad at speed 3). I heard from other that I shouldn`t put the second layer on with the PC because it will strip off some of the first layer of EX-P, is that true? How should I apply it by hand? Lastly, I know you have to wait 24 hours for the first layer to cure. Would it hurt if I put my second layer on after waiting for 20-22 hours instead of 24?

Djmigs
03-24-2006, 10:46 AM
I just put on my first layer of EX-P with my PC (black finishing pad at speed 3). I heard from other that I shouldn`t put the second layer on with the PC because it will strip off some of the first layer of EX-P, is that true? How should I apply it by hand? Lastly, I know you have to wait 24 hours for the first layer to cure. Would it hurt if I put my second layer on after waiting for 20-22 hours instead of 24?

most put LSP by hand but its really a preference...EXP doesnt have cleaners or strong enough to remove your last step so i dont see why you cant apply it second time with a pc..you should be good like you said allow cure time...Always follolw what the label or maufacture says...but if not id play it safe and allow it 24hrs but you should be okay 20-22 hrs it doesnt have to be precise but remeber its your choice....are you going to top this with natty blue or anything else....

JaCkaL829
03-24-2006, 11:17 AM

I remember reading that before too. I`m not exactly sure why the first layer can be applied via PC but additional coats should be applied by hand, especially since EX-P is a pure sealant. I`ve never applied my LSPs via PC, I just prefer to do it by hand. If you do it by hand I would wet the foam applicator and rinse it out so its damp. Apply very thin coats and let it sit for 30-45 mins then remove. I like to go over each panel twice with a different MF, my experience with EX-P is you often times miss spots because it clears up and those spots will be noticeable once it rains. You should be fine if your applying the second coat 20-22 hours after the intial coat. I doubt the missing 4 hours will have any affects on the intial coat.

Setec Astronomy
03-24-2006, 11:26 AM
My guess would be that applying the second layer with a PC is aggressive simply from the pad and pressure, not from the EX-P itself. Like Johnny, I almost never apply LSP by machine...although I have a bunch of LSP pads chomping at the bit to be used! I`ll also second the fact that unbuffed EX-P seems to show up days and weeks later...especially on trim :grrr

a.k.a. Patrick
03-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Excellent advice from 3 who know a thing or two!!

Personally, i put all sealants on by PC. I think I get better coverage, better use of materials, and its obviously faster. Usually if you miss a small area, you make up for it when removing. Theres no way that what you only put on, you only take off. Thers enough residual product to cover areas that youve missed....my $.02

M3_POWER
03-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Do I have to wait 24 hours for the EX-P to cure before I put on natty`s blue wax?

VroomVroom
03-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Good thread. Selfishly, it`s awesome to know I`m not alone - I`ve been embarrassed a couple of times by unbuffed EX-P that`s magically appeared a few days after application. DOH!

I`ve applied Natty`s on top of EX same-day, but haven`t tried a quick layer with EX-P. I always try to leave 24 hours between topcoats, but it`s not always convenient.