PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna NOOB Questions

Diesel1
03-24-2006, 10:10 AM
I tried searching and couldn`t find exactly what I was looking for. To be honest, the more I read this site, the more confused I get especially since before checking this site out, I thought I had a good idea of what I was doing.

Anyway, like most of you guys out there, I have tried an array of products in search of that perfect shine and durability etc etc. I currently use Zaino on my G and I would like to try the Menzerna products on my 97 black expedition (station car and winter beater). Unfortunately I just can`t keep up with the Expy sitting outside at the station, in the sun all day, in the elements, etc so I have neglected her. Disgusting for a car guy!

Questions Regarding Menzerna:

Power Gloss - My truck is pretty faded, especially the roof & hood (I can take and post pics if needed). Now not knowing how the Menzerna products work, I obviously don`t want to go more aggresive then needed nor do I want to not have an aggressive enough polish if I need it.

Can the Powergloss be applied with a cyclo and the yellow pad or will I need to use the rotary? If rotary, what pad would you guys reco?

IP and FPII - Are they both required after using PG? Will I get a better result using both or would I be able to go from PG to FPII?

Mezerna Glaze: - Is this going to add any benefit. The swirls and scrathes should be eliminated by this step. I do not like using anything with fillers typically. Will it enhance the depth/clarity/ reflection?

If the PG can be applied via CYCLO with yellow pad, what pads would you reco for the IP & FP. I am guessing Orange with the IP and then the green for the FPII and White for Glaze if needed.

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks for the help!

tomstin
03-24-2006, 10:54 AM
I have yet to try powergloss but the Menzerna line is geared toward the rotary. I`ve used IP and FP with both the PC and rotary and both products seem to be easier to work with the rotary, but only by a little bit. You will probably be fine with the Cyclo. I think this is a classic case of start with the least aggressive product necessary. Try the IP first on a test area and see how that perfoms and then step up to the Powergloss if needed.

IP and FP have worked well for me. The glaze seemed to mute the finish a bit for me, but I really didn`t need any fillers, so, once again, try it on a section and see how it works for you. Once you get the finish to your liking, seal it up with FMJ.

I really like the Menzerna products I`ve tried, but recently I`ve been using M21 and it seems to perform as well as FMJ at half the price. Even my left over Acrylic Shield seems to work well on the M21.

Diesel1
03-24-2006, 12:45 PM
I appreciate the feedback thanks!

Diesel1
03-27-2006, 10:09 AM
BUMP for more insight

Alfisti
03-28-2006, 02:41 AM
I`ve only tried PG with a PC, but I`ve seen the results with a rotary. PG works wonders with a rotary, leaving a near perfect finish. Sometimes you can get away without using FP.

A Cyclo seems to work better than a PC so PG should work better with it. PG still works with a PC but doesn`t remove as many defects and doesn`t leave a gloss finish...it`s quite dull.

I`d use PG with an orange pad (a tad less aggressive than a yellow pad) and finish with FPII/green pad.

Try IP/orange combo first...it might do the trick without needing PG.

OR, do a side by side on one panel and see which works best. :)

Diesel1
03-28-2006, 08:05 AM
I will certainly do that! Thanks again!

Asonyexec
03-28-2006, 10:42 AM
I have to agree with the others on Menzerna products performing better with a rotary than a PC. Menzerna was the first stuff I bought (from autopia BTW) at the same time i bought my PC, i thought it worked just ok but was a bit disappointed at the results.

About 8 months later I ventured into the rotary world. I bought and started using a rotary, for the hell of it i busted out the old bottle of Menzerna and wow what a difference. I never thought about it until now that I read some of the replies to your original post but I have to agree the product does work better with a rotary.

Have you looked into the Meg`s line of products? Personally I think you`ll get great results with either Megs or Poorboys products.

Diesel1
03-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Menzerna has cought my eye for a few reasons. I like the shine that people have gotten with it and I like the durability seeing as the car stays outside in the harsh NE climate. As far as Mequires goes, I know many people love their products, but for some reason, whenever I have tried anything from Meguires, I was always disappointed. Keep in mind it has always been OTC stuff that I tried years ago.

If I go with rotary for the PG which pads should I go with? I always prefer foam over wool. I don`t think I will need the cut of wool.

After using the PG with the rotary, I should be able to get away with IP and FPII using the cyclo correct?

wannafbody
03-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Yellow medium cutting pad with the PG should be a good combo but you probably will need to follow up with a less aggressive pad and polish

imported_thecarguy
03-28-2006, 04:43 PM
I had NO Idea Menzerna was better applied with a rotary - how are us newbies supposed to know this stuff?

exile
03-28-2006, 05:15 PM
I had NO Idea Menzerna was better applied with a rotary - how are us newbies supposed to know this stuff?

I`m a newbie too, but I`ve gathered from the others here, that IF you know how to use a rotary, most any of the products meant for machine application are better done with a rotary.

A PC works well for us weekend warriors that just need to keep the cars at home looking good. I`d love to purchase a rotary, but just can`t justify the extra expense. My PC keeps me in good shape and with a little extra effort gets swirls out and renews the paint.

Maybe one of these days when my resistance is low (being OCD disabled), I`ll break down and get the rotary, pads, etc., etc., that go with it. :D ...........Tom

Scottwax
03-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Honestly, on oxidized single stage paint, Meguiars DACP and #80 are really hard to beat. The polishing oils they contain really help make the paint look rich and wet. I`ll have pics up in a few of a 1987 Porsche 944 (single stage red) I did yesterday using mostly DACP and 80.

Alfisti
03-30-2006, 12:55 AM
I did a s/s red car on the weekend. I started out with #83 (which worked very well on the oxidation) but took too many passes to get out the appalling scratches/swirls. I stepped up to 1Z Extra to speed things up. How many pads did you end up using? By the end, my collection of pads/MFs stained red looked like I just cleaned up after an axe murder. :eek: