PDA

View Full Version : proper way to clean my windows??

tsx2004
02-23-2005, 07:49 PM
hi all, currently i am using stoner invisible glass to clean my windows. i spray the stoner invisible glass onto the microfiber and then wipe it on my window.

the thing is that i get left over streaks. on the front and on the back i wipe the glass vertically but on the door sides, i wipe the windows horizontally. i get streaks on all four sides and i want to know what is the proper way to clean my windows.

do i use a microfiber to clean my windows? if there is a better solution, please tell me. also is stoner invisible glass a good cleaner or is there a better one? if there is a better one, please let me know also.

i drive a premium pearl white acura 2004 tsx. thanks for all the inputs!!

tsx2004

kimwallace
02-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Stoners is one of the best cleaners. To get streak free windows you need to do a final wipe with a completely dry MF. If they are really bad I usually go over them a couple times. I start by cleaning with White Bounty Paper towels (no lint and no streaking from dyes) ... spray the stoners on the glass or towel. Then I do a final wipe with a good quality dry MF. Make sure that your MF is clean and has absolutely no fabric softener in it. Also, I have had problems with the cheapo MFs from Walmart causing streaks.

scrub
02-23-2005, 08:39 PM
This might not be an issue but cleaning windows in the sun might help cause streaks.

smprince1
02-23-2005, 09:15 PM
I think it is also important to keep your glass cleaning MF separate from all the others, even when washing. If you get any residue from waxes, polishes, silicones from dressings, etc. into your glass cleaning towel that can cause streaking.

zannard
02-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Try using those shop towels(like paper towels only thicker and no lint) to apply and clean, then use the microfiber for the final wipe. Works pretty well for me. But I also agree with making sure you are out of the sun and the windows are cool.

BlackSunshine
02-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Use newspaper....cheap and it works...no lint. Just keep flipping it till it dries. Use the black and white not colored newsprint. Just a thought....I don`t get streaks.

Don
02-24-2005, 05:55 AM
Here is where DAWN can be useful, especially if your windows are really bad. Take a clean cloth and dip it into a bucket of warm water & DAWN. Wring it most of the way out, then wash down the glass (one window at a time). Take a second clean (dry) cloth and dry the window off.

THEN take your Stoners and spray a light mist onto a third clean/dry cloth (or the glass directly) and buff the glass.

That`s how I cleaned the windows in my Cavalier after it spent a month in the bodyshop (with all the rear glass removed & open to all the overspray/dust etc) and they came out perfect.

PS That was the only complaint I had about the shop`s work. The body & paint work is great, but the "clean up" afterwards...let`s just say the windows looked like four fat sweaty guys smoking cigars had an all night poker party in my car with the windows rolled up tight :eek :bigscream

Big Leegr
02-24-2005, 10:04 AM
If you just can`t get streak free no matter what cleaner or cloth you use, I`d recommend a using a squeegee. Not the ones at a gas station, but either a professional window cleaner squeegee or one used to clean shower walls. These types will fit between the glass and dash about as easily as you could fit a cloth. You may want to drape a cloth across the dash to soak up the drippings. Just apply your cleaner, rub it in, then squeegee it off. Should be much less streaking. Also, make sure you aren`t cleaning windows in the heat/direct sun, as the cleaner will evaporate more quickly, and that could also cause streaks.

Dalton
02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Ok dont laugh. this weekend I wanted to clean my windows. I couldnt find my IG. In my garage my wife had 3 bottles of green Windex that she stocks up on for the cleaning lady. I knew it was going to rain the next day so I figured it didnt matter really how clean they came. I reached for the green Windex prayed it on my PB Velvet Glass towel and cleaned my windows buffing it off with a second PB Glass towel. I could not believe how clean and streak free it was. No ammonia to boot. I asked my wife about the stuff and she said she got the 32oz bottle for $1.50 on sale. Cleans better than IG and 1/4 the price. I think I found a new glass cleaner.

BTW get yourselves a couple of the PB Glass Towels. They are great!!!

dalmore
02-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Try using those shop towels(like paper towels only thicker and no lint) to apply and clean, then use the microfiber for the final wipe. Works pretty well for me. But I also agree with making sure you are out of the sun and the windows are cool.
:yeah

I don`t like MF for glass cleaning - I get streaks too when using a MF.

Envoy Fan
02-24-2005, 01:51 PM
I had streaks with my IG until I did the windows twice, second time with a clean dry MF.

I tried Klasse AIO on exterior windshield of my daily driver. Took off a lot of stuff the IO was not removing.