PDA

View Full Version : 3M filling

imported_Bence
03-23-2006, 03:02 PM
In mid-December my father removed the snow from my car with a stiff broom. It left ugly and quite deep scratches on the trunklid (new Spring Project).

We washed our cars together with a pal, who is a body shop guy and has quite good skills (as I thought) with the rotary.

He said that he`ll remove it. OK. Out came the 3M P-III Trizact compound and removed the defect in no time and left an LSP-ready surface. That was suspicious for me because it worked too fast and left a perfect finish. I thought: A polish can`t be that good! But I was pleasantly surprised nevertheless. I threw on a coat of 845, and we were finished.

Then came yesterday. I washed my car with my usual Sonax Gloss Shampoo/garden sprayer-foamer (Which in fact produces pretty good foam!) routine. I was surprised because the water was pooling on the trunk. How can it... Washed once again. I thought that it must be the 1Z -90°C windshield wash. Maybe it is too harsh on LSPs...

But I noticed that the water pooled exactly on that particular area where my pal polished the surface. After drying, I had to realize that the broom scratches are still there (lessened) and additionally, there are disgusting buffer trails too! The damned 3M just hid them! 1.5 months of near perfect illusion! I`ll never let a 3M polish touching my car again.

This little happening just taught me that a body shop guy is necessarily just as good as his materials are. The 3M Trizact did a perfect-awful work. The guy thought that it was perfect, his skills were good enough and so did I. I was skeptical though, because of the time/cut/finish factor, but anyhow, I accepted the results. I was wrong.

Ah, and I`m pretty sure that the unstable filler has compromised the durability of the 845.

Accumulator
03-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Bence- Sorry to hear about all this...my father did a few things like that too ;)

I`m somehow not surprised that the filler-rich 3M stuff and the 845 didn`t work all that well together. Wonder how it would`ve worked with 476S :nixweiss

And I`ve never had decent results with any of the Trizact stuff either (not that I tried very hard). The old PI-III RC/MG stuff that I`ve stocked up on is about the only 3M stuff I use.

imported_Bence
03-23-2006, 04:53 PM
How in the h€ll could this stuff hide those (pretty heavy) defects? It must be 90% filler and 10% abrasive, as it created a perfectly smooth looking surface. But I love polishes because of their honesty (like Menzerna, Optimum, FK), and not because of a deceiving illusion.

Accumulator
03-23-2006, 04:57 PM
How in the h€ll could this stuff hide those (pretty heavy) defects? It must be 90% filler and 10% abrasive, as it created a perfectly smooth looking surface. But I love polishes because of their honesty (like Menzerna, Optimum, FK), and not because of a deceiving illusion.

Maybe there`s a point to the Trizact stuff, if only we could lock in the fillers a bit better. Yeah, I`m usually a fan of "honest" polishes too...but I can see the point of fillers on cars that can`t take any real correction. Heh heh, we`ll see how I feel about the whole issue after I`ve tried fixing the M3 and RX-7, which I suspect are getting pretty fragile.

porta
03-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Holy thread resurrection, bat man!

Anyways, this is a worth to drag up again. Here is a photo serie from a friend of mine, where he did some test with the compound Bence where talking about. Do I have to say that I stopped to use this compound? 3M fast cut+ don´t fill as much, but I do get some drop back.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/maesal2/Animacin-50077-50383-4s.gif

Accumulator
03-26-2011, 12:47 PM
porta- what`s the "50383" stuff?

Not all that surprised about the 3M Fast Cut, I mean, it *is* a pretty harsh product and people oughta know what to expect no matter how the first impression looks.

porta
03-26-2011, 02:15 PM
porta- what`s the "50383" stuff?

Not all that surprised about the 3M Fast Cut, I mean, it *is* a pretty harsh product and people oughta know what to expect no matter how the first impression looks.

3M 50383

http://www.autolackcenter.de/media/images/3m_anti_hologramm_50383-large.jpg

3M 50077 trizact is a compound who is now discontinued http://www.autopaint-pro.co.uk/ekmps/shops/autopaintpro/images/1kg-3m-50077-perfect-it-iii-trizact-compound-486-p.jpg

and replaced by 3M fast cut +

http://www.cartersconsumables.co.uk/images/3M50417%20Fast%20Cut%20plus.JPG

Greg Nichols
03-27-2011, 11:35 AM
UF will fill if you just work it briefly and don`t wash it out.....IPA can still not get it out IME. Superbee and I did a Bentley and you could easily see it filling, looked perfect! Working the polish for twice as long helped, it is a super fine polish like 85rd. Its a great polish if you KNOW how to use it and check your work..........body shops just slap it on and call it good.

Cheers,

GREG

David Fermani
03-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Exactly Greg! I see body shops go from Compound to Ultrafina(skipping the middle step) and it looks good. That stuff is very good at filling halograms and light micormarring, but otherwise it`s designed to remove very light pad marring.

imported_Bence
03-30-2011, 06:14 AM
Full-strength APC+prep solvent+IPA is definitely recommended after these...

Accumulator
03-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Bence- Thanks for schooling me on the current 3M products. Sigh...I`m so out of date :o

porta
03-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Bence- Thanks for schooling me on the current 3M products. Sigh...I`m so out of date :o

You´re welcome :D

And +1 on Bences post. I always use IPA and after the polishing is done, I give the car a wash with a strong alkalie.

Accumulator
03-30-2011, 12:54 PM
You´re welcome :D

OMG, how old *am* I getting?!? Sheesh.. sorry about that :o Heh heh, getting my European pals mixed up, typical American, huh :chuckle:
... I always use IPA and after the polishing is done, I give the car a wash with a strong alkalie.

Insert my usual plug for TOL`s PrepWash here, sure works better for me than IPA. I`ve been using AutoInt/ValuGard`s "A" for the post-correction washes, and that stuff impresses me too.

porta
03-30-2011, 01:05 PM
OMG, how old *am* I getting?!? Sheesh.. sorry about that :o Heh heh, getting my European pals mixed up, typical American, huh :chuckle:

Insert my usual plug for TOL`s PrepWash here, sure works better for me than IPA. I`ve been using AutoInt/ValuGard`s "A" for the post-correction washes, and that stuff impresses me too.

Haha, yes like Switzerland and Sweden :D

imported_Bence
03-30-2011, 06:58 PM
My friends, welcome to the world of Austria/Australia vs. Budapest/Bucharest...

Hah hah! :D :D :D

How I missed a good, therapeutic laugh!!!