PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: MF on Porsche modules

Pages : [1] 2 3

Deanski
03-23-2006, 02:13 PM
URGENT READ FOR THOSE DETAILING 997 PORSCHE!

Use extreme caution with the static build-up with MF towels while cleaning up a Porsche 997!

There is a post on our forum RENNLIST in the 997 section about static build-up causing the front control modules which then fault the system. Mostly `05 year are effected and don`t know about `06 yet.

Use of a MF towel by the headlamp area is the highest risk due to improper ESD shielding of the control module (a design flaw) and a electrical pathway in that area of the vehicle that travels from the front hood release mechnanism to the module itself. Symptoms manifest as "System Fault - Go To Workshop" displayed in the dash display and headlights/parking lights/interior dash lighting no longer function in response to use of the headlight switch but rather turn on and off seemingly randomly. Others have claimed the hood latch can also release spontaneously (although the saftey catch prevents this from being a catastrophic event should that be true).

So you may want to switch to 100% cotton towels around the headlamp area and on the hood.

You have been warned! :mad:

Regards,

Deanski

Setec Astronomy
03-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Sounds like they need an electrical bond wire somewhere. Sometimes these are just stupid problems where two parts need to be electrically conductive but one part gets painted or something, and then the static discharge has no way to dissipate but through the device, instead of the rest of the chassis. Do they have a fix for it?

jimmie jam
03-23-2006, 02:58 PM
wow, glad i keep reminding myself that my $56,000 corvette is o.k. and not to spend $100,000+ plus for a little german boy!!!!

Quickstrike
03-23-2006, 03:48 PM
wow, glad i keep reminding myself that my $56,000 corvette is o.k. and not to spend $100,000+ plus for a little german boy!!!!

I`m sure Corvette`s aren`t free of faults.

But, yeah.. I guess that could become a problem.

jimmie jam
03-23-2006, 04:07 PM
I`m sure Corvette`s aren`t free of faults.

But, yeah.. I guess that could become a problem.

hey, all cars have problems..including corvettes!!!! but the point is that if you spend that kind of money for a car, and they are sweet, you would think they have "figured" those types of problems out! :nervous2:

medic159
03-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Good Lord, it sure must take some aggressive rubbing to generate enough static electricity to cause these problems!

While I am no fan of polyester towels I find it hard to believe that normal use would do that.

Deanski
03-23-2006, 05:33 PM
I believe the discharge is from the stored MF towel and the user grounding themselves enough to make dischage happen.

It`s been discussed on other "P" car forums. It`s got the attention of PCNA.

Good thing `06 has yet to be affected. My C2S has finished production on 3/15! :woot: I`m waiting for a boat now and delivery soon in April! :clap:

I know this is one odd issue, but I`m requesting more details now and will post as they come. In the mean time, use caution.

Deanski

Setec Astronomy
03-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Good Lord, it sure must take some aggressive rubbing to generate enough static electricity to cause these problems!

While I am no fan of polyester towels I find it hard to believe that normal use would do that.

Actually, the voltages that current computer circuitry run on are quite small (3-5 volts) while a static discharge that you could create from walking across a dry, carpeted floor is quite large (25,000 volts). In today`s world of manufacturing, there is quite a bit of thought that goes into static control/dissipation, and properly designed electronic enclosures ensure that out in the world the components survive. But like anything, design or mfg/quality problems can result in the situation with this Porsche.

a.k.a. Patrick
03-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Deanski, please email that link. I went online and couldnt find it.....Im way too familiar with that issue.......Its happened to 4 Carreras Ive detailed. Even after warning the owners, I was told not to worry, they thought I was crazy, but when they got in and saw the issue light up on the dash, well.......lol

Scottwax
03-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I regularly clean a 997S and another customer has an `06 that will be in next month.

EdLancer
03-23-2006, 10:36 PM
URGENT READ FOR THOSE DETAILING 997 PORSCHE!

Use extreme caution with the static build-up with MF towels while cleaning up a Porsche 997!

There is a post on our forum RENNLIST in the 997 section about static build-up causing the front control modules which then fault the system. Mostly `05 year are effected and don`t know about `06 yet.

Use of a MF towel by the headlamp area is the highest risk due to improper ESD shielding of the control module (a design flaw) and a electrical pathway in that area of the vehicle that travels from the front hood release mechnanism to the module itself. Symptoms manifest as "System Fault - Go To Workshop" displayed in the dash display and headlights/parking lights/interior dash lighting no longer function in response to use of the headlight switch but rather turn on and off seemingly randomly. Others have claimed the hood latch can also release spontaneously (although the saftey catch prevents this from being a catastrophic event should that be true).

So you may want to switch to 100% cotton towels around the headlamp area and on the hood.

You have been warned! :mad:

Regards,

Deanski

If the MF is wet is should not be an ESD hazard. Any material either cotton or polyester will cause static build up when dry.

the other pc
03-23-2006, 10:40 PM
...In today`s world of manufacturing, there is quite a bit of thought that goes into static control/dissipation...Apparently not at Porsche.

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist that charged comment.)

PC.

a.k.a. Patrick
03-24-2006, 08:25 AM
You actually hear the hood latch lock when it happens, kind of scarry actually when its not your 100K car............I wonder if Jason worte that article because he had a he** of a time getting it fixed right. If my memory serves me correctly, someone from Germany came out to his Porsche dealer to resolve the problem......

No ill effects with this one although the latch did engage.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/after_1.jpg

This is the one that started it all with me....

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/JF997CarreraSaftr_rszd.jpg

No problems with this one, although I did have the owner check when I heard the hood engage.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/Money_shot.jpg

Nothing here with the Cabriolet, but that was a very cool and and humid day, so that may have played a role...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/DSCF0017.jpg

Same house as above, and nice and cool with better then average humidity, again, no module issues, plus the front 1/2 including the headlights had 3M protection kits.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/DSCF00112.jpg

Nothing on this one........(This job almost made me quit detailing)

Black, swirled to he**, and hotter then he** outside also.....

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/after_hood2.jpg

And last but not least, with the same results as the one that started it all, "Program error, Contact dealer" or whatever the heck it says on the dash. And this guy was a rather large Russian, who went by the name "Borris"....I left a little uncomfortable to say the least, but I did cover my arse, by informing him beforehand that when I polish and clean the front headlight area, it may send a msg to the computer which will tell you to see the dealer. Well, it did, he said "Ahhhh, so vhat, I take it to dealer when i have time" (In my best Russian accent)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/gargae.jpg

dezigns
10-14-2006, 05:54 PM
hello - I hate to revive this, but this happened to me today as I was polishing my headlights - I`m wondering if anyone has a fix for this? I`ll have to take the car to the dealer, however I`d like to give him something to work from to fix the issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

The issue is "[Electrical] System Fault - Visit Workshop". And it sucks.

wicho661
10-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Nothing on this one........(This job almost made me quit detailing)

Black, swirled to he**, and hotter then he** outside also.....

God, do I know what youre talking about.

I did a Black Boxter that needed a perfect finish.

Took me 9 hours. I almost threw in the towel.