PDA

View Full Version : durable rubber, plastic protectants for exterior?

Pages : [1] 2

yas
03-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi ... for the exterior, what are the most durable rubber and plastic protectants?

I know 303 is good, but I`ve read it can wash off easily in rain.

is there anything out there, that will last at least 2-3 weeks in bad weather,

also ... looking for something that has a matte finish

imported_steveo3002
03-22-2006, 02:12 PM
303 deffinetly wont last in rain....megs #38 seems to be okay for me, although it does wash off

Djmigs
03-22-2006, 02:14 PM
CG Gel it is pricey but i think thats your answer

hankwoo
03-22-2006, 02:51 PM
whats cg gel?

Mikeyc
03-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Definitely Poorboy`s Trim Restorer is the way to go. Lasts better on the exterior than other vinyl/rubber dressings. Plus, it will turn black trim black again and of course it smells great too!

Rocket
03-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Tropi-care makes some dressing that lasts a long time. I`ve used it and it lasted for a couple of months on my daily driver. The hard part is getting the trim prepped and cleaned for the 1st time but once you do it`s worth it

tomee
03-22-2006, 04:02 PM
what is a good all round product for outside and inside?

will trim restorer work on your trim interior?

would natrual look be better?

Sherman8r44
03-22-2006, 04:22 PM
CG gel is really good. No smell, but rediculous durability. It can be found on the ChemicalGuys website (gets blocked here though).

Slightly less durable (but still 2-3 weeks easy) is CG Liquid Extreme Shine (http://danase.com/chguliexsh.html) . I love the smell :bigups

They are both amazing for exterior trim, but I haven`t had any good luck with them on tires so far.

tomee, either CG VRT or 303 sounds like your product. Neither will last as long as the other two CG dressings, but they should be good dual-purpose products.

yas
03-22-2006, 06:13 PM
thanks, can CG gel be buffed for a matte finish and still retain durability?

Accumulator
03-23-2006, 10:25 AM
I get good results with Autoglym`s Bumper Care, not a product that gets much attention here. I`ve been using it on a few areas of the A8 and MPV and it lasts for weeks even during Ohio winters. No signs of streaking in the rain either, but then I buff off any excess and let it set up before exposing it to the elements.

On a lot of exterior *hard* plastic, I just use the Klasse twins.

stilez
03-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Poorboy`s Trim Restoer has proved successful in the past for me.

If you want a trim sealant, check out the GR-40 kit from www.topoftheline.com

gbackus
03-23-2006, 11:38 AM
If you can get ahold of Meg`s old S-Dressing, I`ve fallen in love with the stuff. I applied it in spots on various trim on our 3 cars, and after 6 rains and going on the 4th week, you can CLEARLY see where it was applied. It`s lost a lot of the gloos, but it still has a deep black look where it was applied. When I run out of it, I only hope the all-season will work as well.

SVR
03-24-2006, 02:31 AM
I`m a polylack and werkstatt AJ person, that is after doing restore work with CK,AG and Sonus

jfelbab
03-24-2006, 06:26 AM
Another vote for Meguiar`s #38. Seems to resist washing away in the rain better than any other product I`ve used. Their All Season Dressing is also very good in this regard.

percynjpn
03-24-2006, 06:50 AM
what is a good all round product for outside and inside?

will trim restorer work on your trim interior?

would natrual look be better?

I think 1Z Tiefenpfleger is a good balance for exterior and interior plastic; it also leaves a nice natural matte finish on tires. It`ll give you a satin finsish on your dash, but lasts for months. You`ll get pretty good durability on exterior trim, as well.