PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Newbie Stocking Up

novacoke
03-21-2006, 02:29 PM
I`m really new at detailing... my idea of taking care of my cars used to be washing it and putting a coat of wax on before winter. Needless to say I`ve learned alot. The only "good" products I`ve used was the Meguars NXT wash and paste wax I bought about a year ago.

Anyway, here is the list of products that I just ordered... am I missing anything? I will be detailing a variety of cars but most of them are newer (1999, 2003, 2005, 2006), but I`m sure I will get addicted to this and detail others cars.

Porter Cable 7424

PB Slick and Suds Wash

Foamaster Gun

Grit Guard Insert

Stoner Invis Glass (2)

PB EX-P Sealant

PB Trim Restorer

PB Spray & Rinse Wheel Cleaner

PB Bold N Bright

PB Wheel Sealant

Lake Country Tire Dressing Applicator (2)

FK425 Spray Detailer

Meguiars Chenille Mitt

PB Natty`s

PB Natty`s Blue

6.5" Orange Light Cutting Pad

6.5" White Polishing Pad

6.5" Gray Finishing Pad

Pinnacle Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad

Optimum Polish

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Microfiber Bonnet 6 Pack

Snappy Clean 3 Pack

Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay

Sonus Glyde Clay Lubricant

PakShak Microfiber Detergent

PakShak 25" x 36" Waffle Weave

PakShak 16" x 16" Ultra Plush Microfiber (2)

PakShak 16" x 16" Ultra Microfiber (2)

I also have a few brushes but figured there is no point listing them.

I just realized that I forgot to order a backing plate and the order I was going to add it to just left the warehouse... argh Guess I have some more shipping charges. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was going to get http://autogeek.net/lc43125.html

Wasatch
03-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Looks good, one suggestion I would make is buy a bunch more MFs or you will be doing alot of washing. I would jack it up to at least 10 each of the MFs and at least one more WW.

novacoke
03-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Looks good, one suggestion I would make is buy a bunch more MFs or you will be doing alot of washing. I would jack it up to at least 10 each of the MFs and at least one more WW.

I plan on getting more, but will probably buy a few different ones instead of all PakShak brand. I hear good things about them, but at $6.50/each for the MF and $18/each for the WW I wan`t to be open to cheaper alternatives that might work just as good.

Wasatch
03-21-2006, 03:53 PM
You will get a discount, just mention you are from Autopia. Never said you had to buy them all from Ranney.

White95Max
03-21-2006, 03:56 PM
at $6.50/each for the MF and $18/each for the WW I wan`t to be open to cheaper alternatives that might work just as good.

Here are your alternatives:

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=29279&pd=208076

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=29280

That Monterey WW is terrific, but they`re still out of stock. :(

While you`re there, you might as well pick up your backing plate:

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=37932

BradUF
03-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Vroom from Target is great.

Chan
03-21-2006, 10:33 PM
I just spoke with Patrick and the Montereys will be back in stock by tomorrow.

zgrm
03-28-2006, 10:37 AM
guys are the vroom towels from target good for removing polish, wax, etc... I plan to get 2 Excel Monterey Waffle Weave Drying Towels. But I want something cheap but that won`t scratch my paint, to remove polish, wax; and to dress up my interior with. Are the vroom good for all of that?

WSUcommuter
03-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I`ve had good results for wax and polish removal with my Vroom broom designated for just that.

Joshua312
03-28-2006, 10:49 AM
I`ve had good results for wax and polish removal with my Vroom broom designated for just that.

I agree! I have been using them and haven`t scratched my suface at all - It will be interesting once I get my package from Excel however and see the difference :) However with QD I feel that a Plush Microfiber is much better as the Vroom seems to just soak up too much and just smear the product.