PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber for Glass that doesn`t lint

Neo62381
03-21-2006, 01:48 PM
I`m quite happy with the way I`ve learned to clean glass with water and two MF`s the only room for imrovement that I can find it to find a quality MF that doesn`t lint any. I`ve tried all kinds and cant seem to get anywhere. I suppose I could live with it if I can`t find anything, but if possible, I`d like to get the process as perfect as I can!

200 posts - W00T

Wasatch
03-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Never had a MF leave lint on glass yet. I`ve used MFs from Pakshak, Excel, Erie, Adams, and SMP. I have a glass WW from Pakshak, but have not used it yet, but it looks very promising.

LynchMOB
03-21-2006, 02:09 PM
I have had some MF that I did not wash before using lint, but usually cheaper ones. I used to wash glass the same way until I tried Stoner IG. I didnt think it would really make that much difference... man was I wrong.

Setec Astronomy
03-21-2006, 02:11 PM
The lint from MF`s is...well, microfibers. They are very fine fibers, nothing like the lint that you get from a terry towel. They also like to stick to the window, whether it`s from static or getting glued on with window cleaner I`m not sure. I find the cheap plush towels to be the ones that do this...the Home Depot 10 pack was impossible with this, and even the MicroFiberTech Ultra`s lint. If you look at the towel from the side, and see a lot of fibers sticking up above the towel surface...you`re probably going to have lint problems.

All that aside, there are several good towels that don`t lint. My favorite for glass has been the Poorboy`s Work towels, which were similar to the Meg`s Ultimate Wipe, but a bit coarser, which was perfect for cutting the vinyl film on interior glass. Unfortunately, he has changed these towels so now the are identical to the Ultimate wipe, and they are a little too soft for glass, IMO. Poorboy`s also sells a Velvet Smooth glass towel, which I have used some and it pretty good...a little flimsy/scrunchy, but not too bad. A WW might be your best bet, although I haven`t found one I really like for glass, but I haven`t tried the Pak or Autogeek ones recommended for glass.

Accumulator
03-21-2006, 06:35 PM
I`ve had all kinds of MFs lint on my glass, drives me nuts. Even some of my Cobra Glass MFs do it.

One thing to consider is washing your glass MFs separately, to avoid cross contamination from the ones the lint. I suspect this is what`s causing my BBT/etc. WWs to leave lint on my glass.

My Autogeek WW glass towels do *NOT* lint at all. In fact, they work incredibly well, far better than I ever expected they would- that`s an unqualified endorsement. You can bet I wash these separately ;)

gtbaka
03-21-2006, 06:41 PM
You know, I`ve never had linting problems til I used Meg`s Water Magnet, and a couple of the plushy one`s from CMA.

Even the cheap one`s I get from Sams Club don`t lint.

gtbaka
03-21-2006, 06:42 PM
I will say that one of the best one`s I`ve used is Black Magic`s Glass MF. Doesn`t lint, doesn`t streak unless it gets ridiculously loaded with glass cleaner.

SilverLexus
03-21-2006, 09:57 PM
PakShak glass waffle weaves work very well and are my go-to glass towel. :)

Wasatch
03-21-2006, 10:06 PM
PakShak glass waffle weaves work very well and are my go-to glass towel. :)

That`s great to hear, should get to use mine shortly.

Pennypacker
03-22-2006, 12:27 AM
These microfiber towels from Griot`s have worked well for me. They`re specifically intended for windows and have a much more silky texture compared to regular mf towels. I haven`t had any linting problems with them.

window towels (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=11096)

jerry@robs
03-22-2006, 03:12 AM
In my experience in our shop, MFs that are woven like 3M`s (little dots) work much better on glass... We usually clean with a terry weave, then follow up (dry) with a 3M-like weave cloth.

Accumulator
03-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Heh heh, funny how different our experiences with linting are!

... We usually clean with a terry weave, then follow up (dry) with a ..[glass MF]..

Similar process here: I do the initial cleaning with a cotton towel and then finish up with my for-glass MF.

stilez
03-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Lint? HA!

I`m worried more about sand, salt, and dust :lol.

I find if there is a slicker surface, you will get less resistance, hence less likeliness to lint. Try using #425, an anti-static QD, when cleaning windows.