PDA

View Full Version : sealant over a glaze=bonding issues ???

joyriide1113
02-23-2005, 01:43 PM
doing a search on glaze i came upon many people saying they put a sealant over a glaze... now for the longest time since i asked a similar question and got many answers from some respected detailcity seniors ive been told thata sealant cannot be applied over a glaze because a glaze leaves oils that enhance the finsh and a synthetic wax would not bond. that a carnuba wax is the idol choice because it can bond str8 to the finsh where the sealant wouldnt be able to...

and as a quick question to not start another thread... if applying imperial hand glaze and then #16 on top, how long would u guys ESTIMATE it would alst

rabbi
02-23-2005, 02:04 PM
I have never used Imperial Hand Glaze or #16 but I have used a sealant over a glaze. As far as I could tell the bonding/durabilty didn`t suffer. Nothing scientific mind you just an observance.

JaredPointer
02-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Joy: Sounds like you regularly add more/change your sealant, so I don` think that using a glaze followed by a sealant would affect you too much. If you were going to shoot for a durable winter coat (which you probably don`t), I would probably skip the glaze. For most of us nuts though, we don`t leave the finish alone long enough for it to matter IMO.

Big Leegr
02-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Meguiar`s says that ALL their products are formulated to work with all other Meg`s products, so you should be able to use a Megs sealant over a megs glaze.

As to #16 over IHG, I haven`t tried it, but I`ve gotten over 6 weeks of beading with just #16. I would guestimate that if you re-waxed monthly you wouldn`t have a problem.

joyriide1113
02-23-2005, 08:20 PM
the thing is that it sorta makes sense to me. i mean u dont put a sealant over a carnuba for the same reasons, right? ehhh! because of the oils and such that wont let the sealant bond...same thing with a glaze.

this has been a big itch in my back for almost the whole day. i need to start thinking about other things...

joyriide1113
02-23-2005, 08:22 PM
and as a quick question to not start another thread... if applying imperial hand glaze and then #16 on top, how long would u guys ESTIMATE it would alst

i meant how long the glaze would last. u know the whole wet look of it. i didnt mean the carnuba.. sorry.