PDA

View Full Version : New Paint Care

SenojNW
03-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi

I am about to have some new paint work done to repair damage to my new car :sadpace: My question is - how should I care for the new paintwork?

What do I need to take into account for washing etc? I live in Australia so the climate is pretty warm so I would have thought it will cure pretty fast. Can I use a QD on it or any surface protection? At the moment I use Meguiars Deep Crystal Wet Look Polymer Sealant on the rest of the car and I have just ordered some FK1 #425

I will speak to the guys at the paint shop but I thought I would ask here too...

Thanks!

brwill2005
03-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Nothing special. Wait until the paint has properly cured before you apply a wax or sealant. The body shop should tell you how long it will take for the paint to cure. The other thing to keep in mind is that if the body shop applies the clear too thin, it can quickly be damaged with an aggressive polish and rotary polisher. I have had some anxious moments on repainted cars while polishing.

SenojNW
03-20-2006, 10:01 PM
What sort of ETA are you usually looking at for the paint to cure in a warm climate? So after cured just take it easy and stick to hand polishing for a while at least?

I feel like it will need some protection relatively quickly as the car gets a lot of pollution and other crud on it...

imported_Bence
03-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Senoj, new paint in not the same a repaint. New paints are fully cured/hardened as they leave the oven. Repaints are thicker and softer. They need to release, outgas the solvents as they harden (60-90 days).

Until that point is generally not recommended to apply any protection which can close the pores, makig outgassing difficult or impossible. Some sealants though have the ability to provide protection and are safe on new repaints.

imported_Larry A
03-21-2006, 08:50 AM
I just had 2 doors repainted on my car. They told me 30 days before I wax. In the meantime I just used some Megs # 80 by hand to shine it up a bit.

SenojNW
03-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Yep - it is repaint, not new paint!!

I have had FK1 2180 recommended as it is new paint safe? Was going to try that so there is some protection...