PDA

View Full Version : Spilled some syntheitc oil onto seat.

zgrm
03-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Hi guys. Quick question. In one of my cars, I was carrying syntheitc oil in the back seet and I guess some of it spilled onto the carpet and also on the actual seat itself a couple of drops. Can you recommend something that would clean it off the seat and carpet? Would warm water just take it off the leather? What do I need to use for the carpet? Thanks.

brwill2005
03-20-2006, 09:05 PM
A dry cleaning solvent.

zgrm
03-20-2006, 09:49 PM
could you please elaborate? the stain is old so its alredy dry.

chml17l
03-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Brwill2005`s advice is sound. A dry cleaning solvent (like Perchloroethylene) is a chlorinated hyrocarbon solvent that is commonly used to dry clean, i.e. clean without water. You need to use a hydrocarbon based solvent because your oil stain is also hydrocarbon based. Remember chemistry class where a like substance will dissolve a like substance?

It doesn`t really matter that the stain is no longer fresh except that it may be harder to remove. Not knowing your exact situation, but you take the solvent and lightly wet the stain with it. You can use an absorbent terry or cotton cloth to gently blot the stain. You may need to repeat the application several times being sure to not over-wet the spots with solvent and keep blotting up the solvent until the stain lifts completely.

If you can`t obtain a dry cleaning solvent, 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover would probably be your next best bet.

brwill2005
03-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Check out Goodspeedmotoring.com, they sell a dry cleaning solvent made by Angelus. Use it with caution though, it is potent stuff.

zgrm
03-21-2006, 08:38 AM
thanks but what do you mean by use with caution? Could it eat away the leather or discolor the carpet?