PDA

View Full Version : Please help my friend and his car with NO CLEARCOAT!!

golfdude
03-20-2006, 02:57 PM
So, here`s the issue...My friend got a "new" white RX-7 from 1985. The clearcoat seems to be flaking/damaged in certain areas, with rust pitting on the front fender panels in very small "dots." What can he do about his paint to improve it`s look/finish without a respray of new paint? Can he still wax the car, polish the car, wash the car? Also, how could he remove the dotted rust pitting? Thanks everyone!

White95Max
03-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Those rust dots can probably be removed with a clay bar before any other steps are taken.

Yes you can still wax/polish the car. Polish it first to restore the gloss, and then wax/seal it.

jimmybuffit
03-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Take note, it is a single stage paint... we just did a black 85 RX-7.

As noted, clay quite thoroughly, using a baggie to check your progress. I would expect the car to take on an entire new shade of white. The imperfections will mostly remain, but you`ll see tremendous improvement!

Good Luck!

Jim

Accumulator
03-20-2006, 08:02 PM
I was wondering about it being ss too...my `84 RX-7 is ss. That`s assuming original paint though.

Clay, polish (remember that ss white is usually one *hard* paint), wax.

But I myself would use a decontamination system (such as ABC from AUTOINT (http://www.autoint.com/) ) and clay while the "B" is dwelling. I`d probably do the "B" more than once too, it`s the stuff that eats the rust.