PDA

View Full Version : what are the steps you do in a complete detail?

imported_thecarguy
03-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Can you "detail" the steps in your detail? In other words, what do you do first, second, third,... with what chemicals and why you do it in that order or with that chemical?

I know that`s asking alot and it would vary depending on color and paint condition. Let`s take what might be a typical full detail of a dark color 5 years old car with minor swirls and a serious scrath or two on the hood.

Your insight and help here is MUCH!! appreciated!

imported_themightytimmah
03-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Open doors, toss out floormats

Remove trash

Vacuum

Clean vinyl, etc with woolite 1:6 water or apc 1:10 water and mr. clean magic eraser + brushes

Shampoo carpets, floormats

Extract floormats/carpets, stripe pattern them

Put floormats in sun to dry

*this gets the interior clean, and by doing it before paint work, provides time for the mats/carpet to dry*

Close doors

Open hood

Tinfoil off electrical parts

Spray APC, agitate with brushes

Hose off

Spray with Meg`s Hyper Dressing cut 2:1 with water

Run engine for a few minutes to dry out dressing

*This gets the engine compartment looking good*

Pretreat paint with Tarminator, etc, on bugs and tar

Spray rims with poorboy`s spray + rinse, agitate with rim brush

Spray tires with castrol APC, agitate with bronze wire brush

Spray wheel wells with APC, agitate with long-handled rim brush

Pressure wash off rims, tires, wells, rocker panels and bad bug areas

Soap up car with foamgun

Wash with mitts

Rinse

Dry

*this gets the paint ready to polish*

Tape off trim, badging, etc

Wetsand serious scratches with 3000 grit

Optimum Compound @1500rpms on orange pad, rotary

Inspect, 2nd pass if necessary

Optimum Polish/Menzerna PO85RD @1250rpm on green pad, rotary

*This gets the paint swirl free and as scratch free as possible, wetsanding really helps on bad scratches, just be careful with it so you don`t burn through the clear. You can also use a PC or Cyclo for paint correction, it`s just a lot slower*

Clearkote RMG via white pads, cyclo (looks) OR Poorboy`s EX-P, black pad, cyclo (intermediate) OR FK2180, black pads, cyclo (durability)

*This gives a base for the carnuba wax. RMG gives a nice, wet look and hides some scratches, but adds no real protection. EX-P is decent looking, you don`t need to top it if you don`t want to, and it will last 1-3 months. FK2180 will last 4+ months, but it gives a less natural looking shine than the others.*

Remove Tape

Pinnacle Souveran by hand (looks) OR Poorboy`s Natty`s Blue by hand (intermediate) OR FK1 Pink Wax (durability)

*I go for Souveran on cars I know will be garaged, Natty`s blue is great too, very wet. FK1 Pink lasts forever and looks great too, it`s less wet than the others but more reflective*

Dress trim with Chemical Guy`s Liquid Extreme shine

*Dress the trim before you buff off the wax, that way if you have any overspray, it will be easy to get off*

Open doors

Protect vinyl/leather/etc with Poorboy`s Natural Look

Clean interior glass with Eagle One 20:20

Clean doorjambs with Poorboy`s Spray + Wipe

Put floormats in

*These are the finishing interior touches. You can use pretty much any glass cleaner, stoner`s invisible glass and Meg`s NXT are two other favorites. As for the Natural Look, it`s one of only two interior dressings that`s ever performed up to my expectations (the other being 303 which is pricey)*

Apply tire dressing (Meg`s Hyper Dressing)

Clean exterior glass

Final wipedown with Poorboy`s Spray + Gloss and a low-nap MF.

*I really like Hyper Dressing as you can dilute it down depending on how shiny you want the tires. Some people like a "blingy" shine, and some like a matte look, with most going for a light gloss. Spray + Gloss really adds an extra "pop" to the paint, IMHO. It can make the difference between "looks good" and "amazing".*

D Tailor
03-20-2006, 03:47 PM
^^nice step by step and product list.

Wasatch
03-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Nice write-up mighty.

imported_thecarguy
03-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Very nice and EXACTLY what I was asking for - thanks again!

Once question, what is "FK"? (I did not see that in the autopia definition list, http://autopia.org/forum/faq.php?faq=secret_decoder_ring#faq_detailing_term s)

Asonyexec
03-20-2006, 04:46 PM
nice :xyxthumbs

D Tailor
03-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Very nice and EXACTLY what I was asking for - thanks again!

Once question, what is "FK"? (I did not see that in the autopia definition list, http://autopia.org/forum/faq.php?faq=secret_decoder_ring#faq_detailing_term s)

stands for finish kare car products. check out: http://www.fk1usa.com/

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-20-2006, 05:41 PM
1- Wash By Hand

2- Wash Tires And Wheels

3- Polish And Wax By Hand

4- Clean And Polish Chrome

5- Remove Road Tar

6- Apply Exterior Protectants

7- Clean And Wax Door-jambs

8- Clean Upholstery

9- Clean And Vacuum Carpets