View Full Version : Conversations with Jeff/Werkstatt

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

tom p.
03-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Before commiting to new product lines, I feel like some due diligence is in order! Jeff has been very helpful addressing any concerns. I asked him if it was OK to share his replies with the group. I figure that a few others may have the same questions (probably not as many) as me :)

Jeff, I posted this over at Autopia yesterday. Not sure if the responses I received were complete. Maybe you can share a few thoughts on a basic kit to sample the product. I am a long-time KLASSE user.

Also, I have the SONUS Acrylic Glanz. Can I use this with your products? Compatibility is always a concern for me.

Thanks,

Tom

"My AIO bottle is virtually empty and I have been reading all the comments on Werkstatt. All the pictures that various folks have posted look FANTASTIC ...right across the board.

What are the minimal components I need? Just the Prime and the Acrylic Jett? I am making the assumption that these two products would be analogous to the legendary Klasse twins...is that valid? Also, I have David`s SONUS Acrylic Glanz which I like a lot. That`s used to freshen up the Klasse. I am assuming (again) the Acrylic Glos is the equivalent product.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any/all guidance."

Hi Tom,

Thank you for contacting the Werkstatt. I appreciate your interest in our products.

I`m very pleased that the photos you`ve seen of real-world Werkstatt results have left such a positive impression!

I like to think of detailing in a systematic fashion. As such, our products are designed to work together as a modular system of components, but you need only use those products that the paint condition dictates. For 90% of folks, the minimal recommended products would be Prime and Acrylic Jett. While A.Jett can be used alone, the paint should be free of all other product residues and impurities for best results. Prime takes care of this very well and helps Jett properly bond. Indeed, there is a certain categorical similarity to the Klasse products, so your familiarity with those twins should prepare you well for our own twins! From a base of Prime/A.Jett, you can choose to branch out into our other product offerings, but this is the core.

To give you a heads-up, within the next month, we`ll be revising our line-up a bit by introducing a new special edition of Acrylic Jett called Trigger. This won`t be replacing the current A.Jett, but will be a dedicated spray sealant companion product. It was developed as the 3rd generation formula of A.Jett and incrementally improves ease of use, slickness, and wetness. I`m very excited about it! It is a true, independent LSP, but it can also be used to add layers over original A.Jett. Also, we`ll have a few special editions of Prime focused on more narrow detailing niches.

In regards to Sonus, we do not test our product line for compatibility with any other manufacturer`s products. So, using any other products with Werkstatt products will require some experimentation. That said, I did pass along some samples of Werkstatt formulas to David at Sonus. There didn`t seem to be any adverse reactions between the products! I would recommend, however, not using any other products between Prime and Jett to ensure optimal bonding. Without testing, there is no way for us to know if other products contain ingredients that could impair durability. But, you should be able to make use of the Glanz as a topper, if desired.

From the descriptions of the Sonus products at Autopia, I would place the Sonus Acrylic Glanz more in the category of a non-cleaning booster wax. Our Acrylic Glos, on the other hand, does contain cleaners along with our acrylic polymer blend and is more of an everyday maintenance spray. I believe our A.Glos would be more similar to the Sonus Acrylic Spritz instead.

I hope that I`ve addressed all of your questions. If you have any others or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond to this email.

Happy Detailing!

Jeff Brandt

Jeff, thanks for your note! I think you addressed my questions. I appreciate it.

I am not sure I understand the subtle differences between A. Jett and Trigger. Do I need both for maximum durability??

Hi Tom,

Sorry if I wasn`t too clear about the new Acrylic Jett: Trigger and how it fits into our line-up. Let me elaborate!

A brief history of the product may help.

1st Generation. The original Acrylic Jett formula was released as a non-spray, traditionally-applied sealant. It quickly became our most popular product!

2nd Generation (current product). In an effort to make A.Jett even easier to apply, we tweaked the formula to help make it more sprayable (but not so much that fans of the 1st gen would be offended!). We shipped A.Jett with the standard dispensing cap and included a trigger sprayer with every bottle so that people could choose how they wished to apply it.

3rd Generation (upcoming). Even though A.Jett provides outstanding results applied either way, it is still a rather thick formula for spraying. Instead of atomizing properly, it tends to stream/spit out of the sprayer. I wanted to advance the formula to make it even quicker and easier to get that outstanding A.Jett look. In order to achieve this, we needed to reduce the viscosity to get the product to spray better, but it was imperative to maintain the same high concentration of active ingredients. So, the specific blend of ingredients needed to be tweaked to achieve the reduced viscosity. We took this as an opportunity to also explore ways to make the product even wetter and slicker. The result was the Trigger formula.

However, the original, thicker A.Jett formula is such a good product in its own right and has such a loyal following, we didn`t want this new version to replace it. So, instead of having one version of A.Jett that tries to please everyone through compromises, we decided the best course of action was to offer 2 versions that compliment each other but can be maximized for their individual roles.

Acrylic Jett ... the original, thicker, non-spray, traditionally-applied sealant that has produced a loyal following of fans

Acrylic Jett: Trigger ... the all-out, no-compromises, 3rd generation, fully-sprayable version

Both are independent last-step, purely-protective products which can be used directly over Prime. You do not need both. Either one alone will provide outstanding results. However, A.Jett: Trigger is so easy to use, it makes an excellent product to quickly add a full refresh layer over A.Jett, if desired (sort of like you would use the Sonus Glanz). It is a versatile product.

As always, feel free to ask any further questions.

Happy Detailing!

Jeff

That`s fine about the compatibility issues. I`d rather be safe than sorry. I am not seeking a QD type of product. I like the Sonus product since it contains the same acrylic compound found in Sealant Glaze so it`s an easy way to freshen up the protection without re-doing the entire sequence (AIO followed by SG).

Hey Tom,

Actually, Trigger applies just like a QD. (But unlike a QD, the surface must be clean). Even the current version of A.Jett when applied with the sprayer uses a QD-like process. Just spray, spread the product lightly over the surface with a microfiber towel, and continue buffing until clear. Use the dry side of the towel on the final pass for perfect results. It is a very quick process... no waiting involved.

All versions of A.Jett dry very rapidly and begin curing right away. If applying A.Jett in the traditional manner, it should be buffed off after each body panel for easier results. Leaving the product on longer can make it difficult to buff smooth if applied too thick. If applying by spray, there is no wait time involved, just spray and buff.

For all versions, the curing of the polymers begins immediately and is nearly complete within an hour. (Full curing of the final bit can take 24 hours). Curing is a chemical process and is really independent of application drying time (which is why the spray application works just as well as the traditional application).

Multiple coats of Jett can be applied in fairly rapid succession. Because all Jett formulas are water-based, without harsh solvents or cleansers, they do not remove earlier layers, even if those layers are not fully cured. If practical, we recommend a wait of a half hour between coats of Jett. If you top it with any other product (including Carnauba Jett), the A.Jett should be left to fully cure 24 hours for best results.

For Prime, we recommend a drying time of 30 minutes, during which the majority of curing also occurs. For most users, you can apply to the entire vehicle, and when complete, enough time has usually elapsed to return to the start point and begin buffing.

As always, our email is open for questions and comments.

Happy Detailing,

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for filling in the blanks for me. Stuff at this level is real important to me. I like to know what I am getting myself into ! I guess I`ll order both the A Jett and Trigger when it becomes available.

Also, do you want me to share the contents of these emails with the folks at Autopia ? I figure a few others might benefit in hearing your responses.

Have a great weekend.

Hi Tom,

Sorry I couldn`t return this email sooner.

I`m glad that the additional information was useful.

As far as sharing the information on Autopia or elsewhere, you are certainly welcome to do so. We choose not to post on any forums ourselves just to prevent any conflicts, but forums like Autopia are great places to share information. I have noticed that some other emails written to customers have shown up on forums, so I try to keep in mind that anything we write could end up posted to the world!

But, I appreciate you asking before hand... you`re the first to do so!

Enjoy !

gmblack3
03-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks for sharing the info. I too find AJ a bit thick to spray without using too much of the product.

Wonder the effects of using trigger without AJ? Is it going to last as long?

imported_Sludge
03-20-2006, 10:17 AM
tom p.

Thanks for sharing this information. I am particularly excited about the new product Jeff revealed. Both you and Jeff were raised with excellent manners. :clap:

Sludge

Wasatch
03-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks again for the info Tom. Jeff is a stand-up guy from the first time I talked to him on the phone and from his e-mail. I might just get some of the Trigger when it becomes available.

tom p.
03-20-2006, 10:31 AM
I too find AJ a bit thick to spray without using too much of the product.

while I don`t have direct experience, the others have made the same comment. I think that`s why he`s releasing this lower viscosity product called TRIGGER.

I`m definitely gonna give these components a try. :xyxthumbs

tom p.
03-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Both you and Jeff were raised with excellent manners. :clap:

:funnypost LOL, you caught me at an off moment :D

shortspark
03-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Great information - thanks!! I wonder what would happen if Jett was applied by mister sprayer instead of the one they supply? Maybe it would clog but I`m gonna try it.

Scottwax
03-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks for sharing all that, Tom. :)

tom p.
03-30-2006, 12:04 PM
OK, I pulled the TRIGGER :D this morning and ordered A. Jett, A.Jett Trigger and the recently-released PRIME: Acrylic :eek: N I C E !! He`s already sent me the FEDX tracking info.

I have a "new" car I`ll be picking up within a week or so to demo it on. I haven`t purchased any detailing supplies for a while so this is pretty exciting and I have high expectations. Jeff has been very helpful which makes the buying experience that much richer!

Wasatch
03-30-2006, 12:50 PM
OK, I pulled the TRIGGER :D this morning and ordered A. Jett, A.Jett Trigger and the recently-released PRIME: Acrylic :eek: N I C E !! He`s already sent me the FEDX tracking info.

I have a "new" car I`ll be picking up within a week or so to demo it on. I haven`t purchased any detailing supplies for a while so this is pretty exciting and I have high expectations. Jeff has been very helpful which makes the buying experience that much richer!

Good for you Tom! Let us know how it works out for ya. About time you bought some new products, LOL

alexis
03-30-2006, 03:59 PM
has any tried jett over a zaino base? Or will prime remove the zaino layers? I`ve heard that layered zaino is difficult to remove without polishing

gmblack3
03-30-2006, 04:20 PM
has any tried jett over a zaino base? Or will prime remove the zaino layers? I`ve heard that layered zaino is difficult to remove without polishing

Prime should remove zaino.

tom p.
03-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Product touchdown scheduled for tommorow :D

3Dog
03-31-2006, 11:10 AM
Just used Prime-Carnauba (WPC). WOW this stuff is what I have been waiting for. I used it on a silver Ninja...its almost dark here..when we get sun I will post pics.

BigO
03-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Anyone compare these twins to the Klasse twins on a dark color car?