PDA

View Full Version : Propel pad seems to be removing paint

4details2win
03-19-2006, 05:18 PM
I just started using the yellow propel pad and Optimum Compound to remove these stubborn swirls on my car and its working well however this is what my pad looks like after doing my trunk and rear of my car. My car is a blue nissan 350z. Is this normal. Should I be concerned? I use moderate to heavy pressure when polishing.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6893/pad4om.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Raven
03-19-2006, 05:38 PM
I`m still learning myself and I`m not trying to be rude but did you wash the car before polishing it. The pad looks like it picked up a lot of dirt (or is that tar) while you were using it.

Envious Eric
03-19-2006, 05:44 PM
did you clay it?

Setec Astronomy
03-19-2006, 06:07 PM
I don`t really see any blue on the pad like you`re taking off paint, however, even though Optimum products are apparently pretty mild, if you`re using the compound you might need to take some care. Do you know how the blue spots got on there? Is that staining from when you applied a product to the pad? As Raven said, the overall appearance of the pad just seems to be dirt that has come off the paint surface.

Ron Harris
03-19-2006, 06:20 PM
You should really clay the paint prior to polishing. Looks like you picked up some dirt or fallout that was bonded to your paint. I can see a faint trace of light blue though. Not sure what this could be. Your paint is two stage and you would be polishing for quite a long time before you removed the clear and started in on the base coat.

Thomas Dekany
03-19-2006, 08:04 PM
if it is a single stage paint, the old paint will transfer to the pad. Not an issue with clear coated cars.

Lowejackson
03-20-2006, 08:09 AM
I have SS paint and the pads tend to get an even coating of paint. I have no idea what could cause that kind of spotting on a pad

White95Max
03-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Those spots have to be stains from a product applied to the pad. And I also think the outside is dirty because of dirt/contaminants that were picked up.

4details2win
03-21-2006, 05:15 PM
To answer your questions. Yes I washed then thoroughly clayed my car. The dirty part of the pad came from when it hit my wheel. The light blue spots are where I applied the OC each time I did a pannel. Yes I have stage II paint. it`s a 2003 Nissan 305Z. I didn`t think I was eating through the clear coat. I think I should be safe. It sure does take some practice though. Using not too much product and not using too little. Then experimenting on how long to let it break down before removing it. Oh and constantly inspecting the area at different angles with my 1000W halogen lights gleaming on my car. I`m even thinking about getting a back brace so the next morning I`m not aching when I bend over. This is no easy task. But I think it will be well worth it once I finish.

White95Max
03-21-2006, 10:14 PM
If the pad contacts your wheel or tire, you should immediately stop and switch to a clean pad.

Qship3000
03-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Those spots have to be stains from a product applied to the pad. And I also think the outside is dirty because of dirt/contaminants that were picked up.

100% No other possibility, IMHO. Some of it looks like it might have been dropped.

WSUcommuter
03-23-2006, 10:01 AM
:shocked

You hit the tire and didn`t stop right away!!!!????

My advice would be to take that pad off and clean it thoroughly before it touches your paint again. A quick search on how to do this will reveal many threads of recommendations.

4details2win
03-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Ha, well it`s not like I dropped it pad down on the cement. It was a bike tire actually and it was the side wall of the tire and your right, I should have cleaned it right away. Anyway, I did clean it thoroughly and all is good now. I`m very happy with the results and am about to go out and finish up removing the fresh Zaino I put on earlier.