PDA

View Full Version : Problems removing polish

jdhutchin
03-19-2006, 09:23 AM
I just finished polishing a friend`s car, and I seemed to have a lot of difficult removing the polish. With a MF cloth, I had to use quite a bit of work to get the polish off, which makes me worry about marring the surface in the process. Here`s what I`m using:

Meg`s #83 on a Sonus DAS orange cutting pad and a PC. (Is it a problem that the pad is bigger than the backing plate? I`m using the backing plate that comes with the sonus polisher kit).

I apply the polish, and then work it in with a quick pass at speed 3. I then increase the speed to 6 and make a few slow passes (1/2 to 1in per second). It seems that no matter how many passes I make, it is difficult to remove the polish. Do I need to make more passes, fewer passes, use more polish, use less polish, or any combination?

I don`t have pictures, but the car ended up looking pretty good, but it took a long time to finish because of these problems I`m having.

Thanks, Joshua

gtbaka
03-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Sounds like you are using too much product. After initial priming (entire pad is moistened by product), you really only need a few drops, from then on out.

jdhutchin
03-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks, I`ll try that next time I have a chance

imported_themightytimmah
03-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Yep, use less product, and if you`re having a hard time getting the polish off, a good QD can really help.

WSUcommuter
03-20-2006, 07:46 AM
I`ve had a few good experiences with sticking my removal MFs in the clothes dryer for a minute or two to heat them up just slightly. This proved to help remove stubborn products in my experiences.