PDA

View Full Version : Why Langka when you can wetsand -> polish?

donoman
03-19-2006, 04:49 AM
I recently tried this product called Langka blob remover. Basically it encourages you to fill paint chips with touch-up paint. It tells you to layer the paint until it is higher than the OEM paint and then use this Langka stuff to bring the paint layer down to the OEM level.

First of all, I couldn`t get it perfect Everytime i used the Langka to remove the blob, I created a dip in the paint surface which was visible (to my eyes, at least). This is a common problem when sanding (or chemical-mechanically polishing): the softer stuff gets polished away first and pits form where the softer stuff is. In this case the softer stuff is the touch-up paint.

I ended up giving up and going to the old-fashioned method of wetsanding the touchup and following up with polishing steps. It looks much better than the Langka solution. Additionally, Langka is full of SOME kind of solvent that smells exactly like paint thinner --- highly volatile and nauseating.

Was it a lack of skill, or a product limitation that made me arrive at my conclusion?

Big Leegr
03-19-2006, 07:59 AM
I think Lanka is aimed more for the "fool-proof" product seekers. With sanding, *many* people would end up damaging their cars. With the Lanka, all they`d end up with is uneven paint in the chip, which would be MUCH less perceptible than the scouring that would undoubtedly result from people "in a hurry" or just "clueless."

I agree that it does tend to "pull" out the touch-up, but with practice, you may be able to get it to feather better. I haven`t gotten it perfect, yet, but on some people`s cars, they`re much more willing to have you wipe something on than pull out sand paper.

eddieg
03-19-2006, 06:36 PM
the trick with langka is to find out the proper waiting time. if you pulled paint out, it means you should try waiting a longer amount of time, and try again. the waiting time depends on a lot: paint specifics, air humidity and temperature, at least.

MorBid
03-19-2006, 07:27 PM
touching up paint is a excersie in time and patience. And even then one may not end up with a completly un-noticeable repair.

Langka and similar products were developed for people who would rather not or will not put a piece of sandpaper to a panel on their car. And I quess that`s with good reason cuz it`s very easy to "cut" through the clear or even the base coat even using 1200 - 2k grit paper. Car`s are painted with the least amount of both when at the factory.

Using a solvent has at least one edge over wetsanding though. You can use the solvent as many times as needed during one repair or many times over the same area over a period of time (read years)

You can only wetsand a spot on a panel so many times before your gonna have to get it at least re-cleared if not more.

For the record I`ve had no success with either method and prefer painting