PDA

View Full Version : Hose Nozzles...

acrl
03-18-2006, 09:47 PM
How many of you use pressure washers? For those that don`t, what kind of attachment works best with a garden hose?

sneek
03-19-2006, 04:34 PM
i have a pressure washer but sometimes i use a hose

try the fireman nozzle - i dont know if thats its actaul name but its something close

exile
03-19-2006, 10:15 PM
This is one of the better designs and can be bought at Walmart, Sears, etc.. You will find them in the garden dept. of the store. The nozzle is fully adjustable from "stream", to wash away dirt and dust, to "fan", to aid in sheeting water off the car when you`re done washing :xyxthumbs ....................Tom

$5.00 @ Walmart

BigAl3
03-19-2006, 11:40 PM
i like to use shut-off valves, as you can adjust the spray pattern by simply twisting the top. also, you don`t have to take it off like most other nozzles when doing the final sheeting rinse. you can pick one up at sears for around $3.

adept
03-20-2006, 12:06 AM
i like to use shut-off valves, as you can adjust the spray pattern by simply twisting the top. also, you don`t have to take it off like most other nozzles when doing the final sheeting rinse. you can pick one up at sears for around $3.

I second this.

imported_themightytimmah
03-20-2006, 07:17 AM
I use a pressure washer for rims, wells and undercarriages, but for paint I just use a hose with the end cut off. I use my thumb to direct the flow, and this way its easy to sheet water on for a final rinse, and there`s no chance of accidentally hitting the paint with a nozzle, causing some nasty scratches (I`ve done it before :scared: ).

acrl
04-02-2006, 05:41 PM
http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/071/69429/07169429000-mv.jpg

Is this what you guys are talking about?

imported_UnsanePyro
04-03-2006, 06:24 AM
http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/071/69429/07169429000-mv.jpg

Is this what you guys are talking about?

I`m using one similar to that, but from Ace Hardware.

When you look at it, check to see the size of the hole wehn the ball valve is fully open. On the one I have, it is sort of small, so I end up with a bit more pressure in the stream that if I didn`t use the valve at all.

medic159
04-03-2006, 07:50 AM
I`m using one similar to that, but from Ace Hardware.

When you look at it, check to see the size of the hole wehn the ball valve is fully open. On the one I have, it is sort of small, so I end up with a bit more pressure in the stream that if I didn`t use the valve at all.

NOT! You end up with the exact same pressure and LESS volume of water. If your theory was correct you should then use a hose the diameter of a drinking straw for better pressure.

D Tailor
04-03-2006, 09:37 AM
NOT! You end up with the exact same pressure and LESS volume of water. If your theory was correct you should then use a hose the diameter of a drinking straw for better pressure.

Why all of the aggression? :nixweiss whether right or wrong, I don`t think the member above was stating a theory, just posting an simple reply....

Accumulator
04-03-2006, 10:11 AM
I go through a lot of the shutoffs pictured, they always seem to start leaking but I like `em anyhow.

I used to just use the female end of a plastic quick disconnect. No pic, but they look kinda like a mushroom, you pull the big domed collar down to open them, and have built-in shutoffs that I`d use to control the spray. I still use these for "nozzles" when cleaning wheelwells and undercarriages.

I received a pair of the Griot`s nozzles (yeah, the ~$76 ones) as a gift when they first came out and just *loved* them. I`ve never had a problem with them even after many years (and they don`t get pampered ;) ). That`s a bit of money for a hose nozzle though...

I hardly ever use my pressure washer on vehicles, just now and then for really nasty undercarriages.

titsataki
04-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I have also a hose from Griots and yes they are superior to the Costco and home depot ones. I also have brass quick disconnects so I can connect and disconnect. It is funny but the Griot`s hose once in a while it would leak a tad at the seam where the rubber meets the threaded metal and I never abuse them. Anyone ever returned one to Griot`s? Griot`s also has the shut off valve and a nozzle but the nosle is like $80 and the shut of like $30.

Cheers

Nick

Sherman8r44
04-04-2006, 06:12 PM

Pressure is already determined by the time it gets to your hose. Velocity and cross-sectional area vary inversely (av=av), so as the cross-sectional area is decreased the velocity increases. Since I`m assuming by "pressure" UnsanePyro meant "velocity", the velocity DOES increase, even if it does sacrafice water volume to do so. A hose with the diameter of a drinking straw would have a very high velocity.

Accumulator
04-05-2006, 09:09 AM
I have also a hose from Griots and..once in a while it would leak a tad at the seam where the rubber meets the threaded metal and I never abuse them. Anyone ever returned one to Griot`s?

Mine don`t leak and I *do* abuse them (years and years of dropping onto concrete, you can imagine what they look like :o ). I`d send it back. I`ve returned all sorts of stuff to GG over the years, when they say "lifetime" they mean it. Call `em up first if you want to, I bet they`ll say "send it back for a new one".