PDA

View Full Version : Foam Gun handy tip

Pages : [1] 2

JohnZ3MC
03-18-2006, 08:44 PM
OK, so I`m not the sharpest tool in the shed. It took me about 4 times before I figured out this little tip but it makes working with the foam gun even quicker and easier.

After I foam and agitate, I want fresh water to rinse.

I used to disconnect the foam gun section, put it down, then use the hand nozzle, then re-attach the foam gun for another section of foaming.

I finally realized that if I just rotated the adjustable feed tube about 90 degrees, it would stop the soap from mixing with the water, resulting in pure water for rinsing.

So, with all Gilmour based guns, just rotate the little feed tube 90 degrees and rinse away.

Now I don`t want to hear how smart you guys are and how you figured that out after only 3, 2, 1 uses, or how you figured it out on the way home from buying it, or how you got the idea shortly after paying for it using PayPal or buying it on Ebay.

It really speeds up the process.

-John C.

Setec Astronomy
03-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Now I don`t want to hear how smart you guys are and how you figured that out after only 3, 2, 1 uses, or how you figured it out on the way home from buying it, or how you got the idea shortly after paying for it using PayPal or buying it on Ebay.

I would never do that to you...I figured it out by reading the directions! ;)

Accumulator
03-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Only issue I have with rinsing this way is that it doesn`t provide as much water as my regular hose nozzle. I finally gave up on it and set up the second hose for rinsing.

You might just wanna give it a thorough regular rinse at the end to make sure you got all the soap off. Otherwise, if it works OK for you then yeah, it can be a real timesaver.

JohnZ3MC
03-19-2006, 11:25 AM
I would never do that to you...I figured it out by reading the directions! ;)

Directions? Directions? Are you suggesting new items come with directions that I might possibly read and learn from?

I`m a guy. I don`t deal with directions / instructions well. Heck, I still have kitchen appliances and power tools long ago taken apart and still apart but maybe I`ll take a page out of your book and give them instructions a glance.

Thanks for the tip, it sounds like a winner. :)

-John C. (still laughing)

Arved
03-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Directions? Directions? Are you suggesting new items come with directions that I might possibly read and learn from?

Directions are for products so poorly designed that they are not intuitively obvious how they operate. Like programming your VCR.

:LOLOL

Diesel1
04-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I agree with accumulator. After my first use of teh foam gun, I simply picked up a brass Y fitting (with shut off valves) and 2 25` hoses. One hose has nozzle, the other the foam gun. I used the quick disconnect that came with the foam gun on that side (no point really) and I bought another for the nozzle side. Now the cool thing is that the quick connect I got from HD allows you to remove the nozzle without water flowing out. Next time I wash I will prbably put the QD fitting i got with the foam gun on the nozzle side so I can do a free flow rinse. Makes it nice and easy! Little bulk, but nice and easy.

I actually saw that goodyear makes a Y fitting with a short hose extension and shut off valves that may work better in helping to avoid tangles.

Accumulator
04-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Diesel1- Heh heh, glad to hear that. Makes me feel like I`m not quite so crazy after all ;)

Diesel1
04-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Be quite!!! You are the one that got me into the foam gun thing in the first place! I use it on my Black G because I just can`t stand the marring anymore! URGH!!!

JohnZ3MC
04-12-2006, 01:06 AM
As a followup, I got one of those Y splitters too and now have two hoses, one with the foam gun and one with my regular nozzle.

Like Accumulator suggested, the extra volume of H20 makes rinsing quicker and more efficient.

A weird observation though. On my winter slug, the combination of 845IW plus Pink Wax plus FK425 makes the surface so slick the foam doesn`t stick around for any time at all. It just slides off way too quickly.

-John C.

Hines
04-12-2006, 02:46 AM
i use quick connects on my hose, switch back an fourth between the foam gun and nozzle

Accumulator
04-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Hines- That`s what I did before I got so self-indulgent :D

.. the combination of 845IW plus Pink Wax plus FK425 makes the surface so slick the foam doesn`t stick around for any time at all. It just slides off way too quickly...

But think of how great that must be for keeping the marring down ;) The combo of a slick LSP and the foamgun will keep you from having to polish for a long, long time. Bet that was great during the winter, when all sorts of abrasive stuff usually wants to stick to the finish.

JohnZ3MC
04-12-2006, 09:24 AM
But think of how great that must be for keeping the marring down ;) The combo of a slick LSP and the foamgun will keep you from having to polish for a long, long time. Bet that was great during the winter, when all sorts of abrasive stuff usually wants to stick to the finish.

Good point and I do appreciate your wisdom.

I might mention a caution about using a foam gun, they`re dangerous. I shot myself in the foot yesterday. Minimal damage but I did `squish` when I walked for a while. The limp is gone now. Perhaps a warning to all is in order. :)

-John C.

Accumulator
04-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Heh heh, I accidentally shot my Jaguar with mine once :D

Diesel1
04-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Good point and I do appreciate your wisdom.

I might mention a caution about using a foam gun, they`re dangerous. I shot myself in the foot yesterday. Minimal damage but I did `squish` when I walked for a while. The limp is gone now. Perhaps a warning to all is in order. :)

-John C.

Originally I wasn`t allowed to get one because people kept saying "you`ll shoot your eye out..". I had one close call. I gently placed the foam gun down and turned to the nozzle hose, as soon as I reached the nozzle I had this "6th sense" that something was awry...I turned, to see the foam gun tilting as if in slow motion....I ran, then dove as I screamed...noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, arms extended, desperately reaching....reaching....as my torso began to make contact with rough hard concrete, my finger tips just barely made it to the foam gun in which the handle/trigger was just centimeters from the ground which would have shot suds right in my eye! :LOLOL

LOL JK JK

Now what are the chances these can be modified for a wet T-Shirt contest...substitute the T shirts for foam perhaps? LOL

JohnZ3MC
04-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Now what are the chances these can be modified for a wet T-Shirt contest...substitute the T shirts for foam perhaps? LOL

Great story and thank you for sharing. Now at the bottom of your post (above) you mention a possible contest. You know Diesel1, I think I like you, you`re an ideas man.

-John C.