PDA

View Full Version : Cable or Directv

MrC
02-22-2005, 04:41 PM
I just got my lastest cable bill (Comcast) and it jumped from $39 to $109. I know we were set up for a special promotion (Digital Cable, HD, and HBO) but I didn`t think the after promotion price would jump $70. I`m really giving Directv some consideration. Everyone I know who has it really likes it but then again thats only 4 people. What do you guys think about making the switch? Pros and Cons
Thanks

MS22
02-22-2005, 04:51 PM
At home we have Adelphia Digital Cable and at school we have Direct TV. They each have advantages and disadvantages for about the same price. With the Adelphia there is a discounted rate for Boradband Internet, programs load instantly (there is a 2-3 second pause with Direct TV), and no worry about service being interrupted because of weather. The Direct TV has better HD channels, but the driving force that brought us to go with it were the availability and price of the sports packages. They offer about the same price for the same packages however I would give the edge to Adelphia if you are more of a program/movie fan and the edge to Direct TV for the sports lover, like me. If you want internet service it is possible to negotiate really cheap rates with the cable company. It really is a tough decision to make.

John Styrnol
02-22-2005, 05:12 PM
I like DTV over Comcast. Way better picture and sound. Here in UT DTV is alot cheaper, than a Comcast package of any sorts. If you are into sports DTV gives you just about everything out there. I had Comcast HD package which was pretty nice, but the selection I did not care for. I hear the DTV HD package is way better.

Jngrbrdman
02-22-2005, 06:17 PM
I`m giving cable a shot. My biggest concern is the placement of the cable satellite dish. When it snows EVERYBODY`s cable goes out. I never had that problem with Dish Network. However, the price is less with cable and I get the channels I watch in every room that has a jack. I don`t need a box unless I want channels higher than 100. Most of what I watch is below that, so it is worth it to have just cable and pay less. I also will be getting a discount on my internet connection by sticking with Comcast. So far I don`t really have any complaints. The menu blew so bad for awhile there. Now that is a little better. I`m liking the On Demand service. That is nice. I don`t really see any advantage to switching back to satellite. I`ve got a dish on the roof still... just in case. ;)

MrC
02-22-2005, 07:05 PM
When it comes to the advertised price Directv comes out cheaper.
Directv- 2 premium channels, HD, *Tivo service = $78
*note- I have to buy the Tivo

Comcast Cable- HD & HBO= $70-$100*
*my father in-law has the same package and pays $70
when my wife called about our bill they said ours would be $100;
I`m calling tonight to find out why

My other concerns are quality of service and placement of satellite.
Thanks for the input!!!

MrC
02-22-2005, 09:11 PM
I just found this on the directv site: "Add $4.99/mo. for separate programming on second and each additional TV."

Does that mean I have to pay $4.99 for every additional tv in my house or am I reading this wrong?

ernman
02-22-2005, 10:19 PM
I am looking at the dish network, I pay 47.00 for five tv`s now and the dish network is 54.00 for four tv`s w/ free dish and installation.

1999NCSU
02-22-2005, 10:50 PM
I just found this on the directv site: "Add $4.99/mo. for separate programming on second and each additional TV."

Does that mean I have to pay $4.99 for every additional tv in my house or am I reading this wrong?

Yep, 4.99 each tv.

max_man_94_01
02-23-2005, 12:29 AM
I have DTV...even with $4.99 per room, it still is cheaper than cable....you don`t pay any sales tax, no box rentals, etc...

RAYJAY
02-24-2005, 10:07 PM
try dish tv we had direct tv and went over to dish as long as your not looking for the football package its great system (we have the 522 reciver dvr and the 301 dvr
with dish you buy no recivers at all

Jeff

JeffM
02-25-2005, 08:28 AM
Here in Florida we get a discount on DTV if we also have Bellsouth DSL. DTV is far superior to Crapcast cable, and cheaper.

Not only is DTV cheaper but so is the DSL, even before the discount.

For problems with snow on the dish, spray it with Pam, or maybe a coat of SG, but the installer told me Pam works great.