PDA

View Full Version : Rescued JDM MR2

imported_Victor
03-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Hello fellow Autopians!!!

I`m very excited to start my first forum!! A friend of mine recently brought a MR2 from Japan, and he attempted to wax the car himself. He told me that his dad at the time was sawing wood on the side, and the car was covered in saw dust. He started buffing the wax off, and as a result, severe damage was done as seen in the attached pics.

mr.ikon
03-18-2006, 01:29 AM
wow. thats a lot of damage done to the car. hope all goes well. i wanna see some after pics cause i have a red one myself.

imported_Victor
03-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Hello fellow Autopians:

The following pictures show the car getting rescued, ie. re-did the touch-ups, wet-sanded with 2000grit sand paper on the clouded surfaces, and wool-pad buffed with #83 on those areas. Then, I taped off all the plastics and rubber trims before polishing~~~

imported_Victor
03-18-2006, 01:40 AM
More pics of the progress!!!

imported_Victor
03-18-2006, 01:51 AM
During the progress, I used a Norton finishing pad with Meg #82 with a Makita 9227 to kill most swirls and add shine. Then, with my younger brother`s help, he and I applied Deep Crystal Polish mixed with Meg. #16. I then, waxed the rims with Mothers Cleaner wax, dressed all the trim, and gelled the tires. Earlier that day, I did a full cleanup of the interior, and applied dressing over the plastic surfaces. I used a small paint brush and a Q-Tip to take care of nooks and crannies. So..............here are the pics!!!

imported_Victor
03-18-2006, 02:02 AM
This is my entire progress with the car, and I took 15 hours to complete the job~~~

-Cleaned the poorly touched-up areas with Dawn

-Wet-sanded away surface rust near the scratches

-Touched up with a fine painter`s brush with univeral black paint

-Wet-sanded with 1500 and painted until leveled, and wet-sanded with 2000

-Wet-sanded the clouded areas with 2000

-Buffed those areas with Wool pad on Makita 9227 with initally #83 (but ran out of it, so continued with #82)

-Full car polished with Norton finishing pad on Makita 9227 with #82

-Full car waxed with Meg Deep Crystal Polish mixed with Meg #16

-Touched up some chipped paint on the rims with univeral black paint

-Waxed the rims with Mothers Cleaner Wax

-Endurance tire gel

-Turtle Wax F21 protectant on mudguard and plastics trims

For interior, my brother did a very complete vacuum cleaning, and I applied F21 protectant on all plastic surfaces with a mild scuffing pad and wiped with towel. I took care of the nooks and crannies with Q-Tip and small paint brush...........then cleaned the windows.

PS. My friend is selling the car for $6500 CDN!!!!

sneek
03-18-2006, 05:32 PM
good job

paint looks wet thanks to #16

why dont you try using a foam cutting pad instead of a wool one

(W7000/7006) and why not go to #80 instead of #82 because #82 is ultra mild

also no more F21! use meguiars NXT tech protectant or Natural Shine

lol sry for the ultra meguair`s loyal reply

imported_Victor
03-18-2006, 08:10 PM
LOL!! I`m quite a hardcore Meguiars guy too!! I have difficulty finding #80 in Richmond BC, and I grabbed #83 and #82 off the shelf for convienience initially. I grew to like their performance.

I have a few questions; what`s the advantage of using a foam cutting pad instead of a wool pad? I have noticed that a lot of the members prefer #80 over #82, why?

For F21, I just grabbed it cuz it was on sale; otherwise, I would like to try something Meguiars in the near future.

For car wash, once I run out of the current Simoniz wash, I will switch to Mint Condition Car Wash~~~

Victor

imported_Victor
03-18-2006, 08:13 PM
By the way, how do I enter the MR2 into the Extreme Makeover contest???

Thanks!!!

ScubaStevo
03-18-2006, 08:59 PM
By the way, how do I enter the MR2 into the Extreme Makeover contest???

Thanks!!!

Post the pictures in the section.

I`ve worked on my fair share of them. YOu can get them pretty cheapo too.

sneek
03-18-2006, 09:45 PM
LOL!! I`m quite a hardcore Meguiars guy too!! I have difficulty finding #80 in Richmond BC, and I grabbed #83 and #82 off the shelf for convienience initially. I grew to like their performance.

I have a few questions; what`s the advantage of using a foam cutting pad instead of a wool pad? I have noticed that a lot of the members prefer #80 over #82, why?

For F21, I just grabbed it cuz it was on sale; otherwise, I would like to try something Meguiars in the near future.

For car wash, once I run out of the current Simoniz wash, I will switch to Mint Condition Car Wash~~~

Victor

How To Remove Paint Defects (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=31)

watch the video

you did use a rotary didn`t you? the foam cutting pad, usually will not scour the finish as the wool fibers can inflict tiny

lol i have watched the meguairs video like a trillion times

the NXT protectant can provide high gloss if you do not buff it after a few minutes or it can offer a natual factory look if you buff it

or you can go with natual shine to make a factory shine on all dash bords as nxt can be shiney on some surfaces even after buffing. and for maintainace you can use Quik Interior Detailer which i just picked up at canadian tire

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11664

as for the car wash try meguiars Deep Crystal/gold class wash its like 8.99 at can. tire or if you can get you hands on it NXT wash has agents in it that sofen the water

if you have more questions or want to verify if my answers are right(lol i am not that good i`m only 17) just join meguiarsonline.com where there are tons of meguair`s pros

sneek
03-19-2006, 10:44 AM
i forgot this in my last post

you can find #80 at part source