PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good tip I got?

taylor
03-17-2006, 01:24 PM
I was telling a guy about how I "streaked" some rims and blotched them up when some tire cleaner got on them. And he said if it ever happens again get some clear spray paint enamel and spray them. Seems crazy to me but hes been in the buisness for years. He said something about I messed up the clear coat and thats basically what that is and to just spray over the blotches. Is this a good tip or is he insane? Just seems crazy to go and "spraypaint" someones wheels.

BobD
03-17-2006, 01:28 PM
The only thing the clear will do is put a clear coat over the spots.

imported_themightytimmah
03-17-2006, 01:29 PM
I`d reccomend against that. On clearcoated rims, he might be right, however most rims that will spot are just unprotected metal. Try a good metal polish like Meg`s NXT to get the spots off.

White95Max
03-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Why would adding clear over the damage fix anything? You`d still have the damage, only now it`d be inaccessible to fix it.

Louie
03-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Don`t believe everything you hear. Just today standing in the auto section of Target some old guy was trying to pick out some car wash soap. I recommended Meguiar`s Gold Class, they had a 1/2 gallon, sheepskin mit and microfiber all bundled for $10. He though it was a bit expensive and after a bit of discussion decided he would just use some dish soap.

I mentioned that it might strip the wax quicker than a soap designed for washing cars and he`s end up waxing more often. He then spent 5 minutes lecturing me about the merits of clear coat and they never need waxing, so stripping wasn`t a problem because he has never waxed his 1997 Lincoln. He then asks me why fire trucks are so shiny. Clearcoat. And they never get waxed - they are not allowed to because it would catch fire if the truck got too close to blaze. I`ve heard it all now...

Joeystang
03-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Wow that old dude was a classic!

Brian_Brice
03-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Why would adding clear over the damage fix anything? You`d still have the damage, only now it`d be inaccessible to fix it.

lol white ive learned alot from you dude i can tell , because before i read your post that exactly what i was thinking. solution vs prevention only that solution only locks in the problem to begin with, hmmmmm