PDA

View Full Version : How does this sound as a procedure?

ET Awful
03-17-2006, 05:51 AM
I`m actually using basically the same procedure on three cars (minus the stronger swirl remover on two of them that are in a bit better shape). One is white, one dark burgundy, and one black. These are all things I`m just doing for friends who wouldn`t do it for themselves (in return for free dinners and such) :). All products are Poor Boys because that`s what I ended up with while shopping on line. There`s so much out there that I just went with one that had a good rep and a good price.

Wash (Gold Class)

Clay

SSR 2.5

SSR 1

Pro Polish

PwC Blue

EX-P

Natty`s Blue

Like I said for the two newer vehicles (the burgundy and the black), I`ll eliminate the stronger swirl removing steps, but this is what I`ve come up with as a procedure. Is there anything that should be changed?

Other things I have available are some EX sealant instead of the EX-P, some NXT, a sample of FK1 Hi-Temp wax, and that`s really about it, I can order more items if needed (maybe some regular PwC instead of the blue for the white vehicle?).

Yeah, I went all out when I started ordering stuff :). Since I`m only doing work for friends, I should have enough to last quite a while.

Edit: Forgot, I have some Meguiars #40 for the trim.

BobD
03-17-2006, 06:09 AM
You could probably leave out the Pro Polish step. Might want to substitute SSR2 for it and then follow with the SSR1. If you don`t have SSR2 don`t worry about it. SSR2 does a pretty good job at breaking down that you can do right to SSR1 or possibly even Polish with Carnauba.

ET Awful
03-17-2006, 06:11 AM
You could probably leave out the Pro Polish step. Might want to substitute SSR2 for it and then follow with the SSR1. If you don`t have SSR2 don`t worry about it. SSR2 does a pretty good job at breaking down that you can do right to SSR1 or possibly even Polish with Carnauba.

Nope, no SSR2 right now (bought a package deal from AutoGeek that came with 2.5 and 1). (and you`re on my "to order" list for a foam gun once my Mastercard recovers from buying all the other stuff).

Thanks for the input!

Setec Astronomy
03-17-2006, 07:20 AM
ET, you`ve got a lot of redundancy in your list. The SSR`s are abrasive polishes, the PP and PwC are chemical polishes. The PwC is very similar to PP, less solvent, but added LSP (PwC can be considered a cleaner wax). So if you follow your list, you are doing 3 polishing steps, followed by a cleaner wax (which could be considered a fourth polishing step), followed by 2 more LSP`s. Some may argue that the EX-P bonding may be compromised by the carnauba in the PwC (not that I find EX-P to last all that long, anyway). You say you`ll eliminate the stronger swirl removing steps on some jobs--just be aware that the only strong swirl remover you have is the SSR2.5.

My recommendation would be this on the "tougher" jobs: SSR2.5/SSR1/EX-P/Natty`s.

The less tough jobs: SSR1/EX-P/Nattys, possibly adding PP before or after the SSR1 if you feel you`ve got some staining that needs chemical action. Or you could go mix it around differently...just remember that SSR1/PP/PwC are all about the same "cut", and that PwC isn`t going to give you the LSP results of either EX-P or Natty`s. I also agree with Danase about the SSR2...the 2.5 should work for moderate swirls, but the SSR1 really won`t do much in the way of swirl removal, it`s really a final polish.

Sorry if this confused more than it helped :(

On

ET Awful
03-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Sorry if this confused more than it helped :(

Not at all. Made perfect sense.