PDA

View Full Version : AIO + EX-P or UPP

drck1000
03-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Hello all! First of all, please forgive any ill-advised (stupid) questions as I am a newbie to detailing. Prior to this, my idea of detailing was applying PermaPlate renewer for the paint and then tire dressing.

Anyways, I have a Mercury Metallic 2006 GS 300. I`ve had it for about 4 weeks and getting ready to detail the exterior for the first time this weekend. I would just like to get some feedback and learn from some of your experiences with these products individually and combinations of. In the past few weeks since getting the new car, I purchased a TON of different products with the intention of eventually trying them all and comparing for myself and coming up with my own personal "line-up" of preferred products.

For the wash, I have Meguiar NXT Tech wash and both the 1Z Perls and Exclusiv shampoos. I use the two bucket method with a Meguiar synthetic wool mitt. I also have a MF mitt from properautocare.com and have ordered two sheepskin mitts. I currently am drying with the Big Blue II towel after using the Absorber for years on my old car.

Here`s where I need the real input from your experiences. I have the following products.

Klasse AIO

1Z Metallic PolishWax

1Z Glanz Wax

Poorboys EX-P

Four Star UPP

Meguiar NXT Tech Wax (intend only to use it for our older van)

Menzerna Acylic Sealant Spray

I also have Klasse SG on it`s way, but don`t think it will arrive before this weekend.

For my first pass, I am planning on the following combination. AIO followed up by UPP. I plan to apply the AIO using Eagle One WWS and a MF pad and the UPP with a foam applicator pad. I do have enough MF pads to apply the UPP if the consensus is that is the better route to go.

I understand a lot has to do with my personal preferences and here`s and idea of what I am looking for. I am looking for a nice shine and gloss with good durability. I won`t mind reapplying in 2 months. I am not looking for the BEST shine, but a car that looks very well maintained and "groomed" without taking the time to apply multiple layers of LSP. An weekend afternoon is about all I am willing to spend applying the cleaner and sealants. I am also looking for ease of application. I ordered Klasse SG and from feedback from this forum I have since decided to try the EX-P or UPP route for the first pass. I also understand that UPP doesn`t stain trim and that`s important as I would like to avoid cleaning that up as much as possible.

I go the 1Z stuff from a friend. He highly recommended them for metallic paints. That will probably be used in the next session if I don`t go with AIO/SG next.

I know a lot of you may be recommending claying. I have Clay Magic ordered and I don`t think it will arrive before this weekend.

I had purchased the Menzerna spray with the intention of just using that after an application of AIO. But I have since decided to spend the time to incorporating EX-P, UPP or KSG to top the AIO. Do you recommend using the Menzerna spray upon initial application of the LSP, or save for the washes in between waxing?

Any feedback, recommendations or advise is appreciated. Been reading a ton of posts here in the past few weeks and am amazed at the information shared here. Great stuff. I do have a ton of detailing products purchased in the past few weeks. It`s to the point where I am almost looking for cars to detail to compare products. My dad`s Land Cruiser looks like a prime target. He doesn`t spend much time washing his car anyways. This is the first time that I can ever remember looking forward to washing my car! I guess I got bit by the detailing bug big time.

Thanks in advance

toml
03-16-2006, 07:36 PM
I am also looking for ease of application. I ordered Klasse SG and from feedback from this forum I have since decided to try the EX-P or UPP route for the first pass. I also understand that UPP doesn`t stain trim and that`s important as I would like to avoid cleaning that up as much as possible.

UPP is the bomb for ease of application. Just remember that a LITTLE goes a long way ... think VERY THIN. I`ve applied it both by PC (finishing pad) and by foam applicator. Not sure about using a MF applicator ... the instructions say to use a foam applicator. And yes, UPP does not stain trim, textured or otherwise. :)

I go the 1Z stuff from a friend. He highly recommended them for metallic paints. That will probably be used in the next session if I don`t go with AIO/SG next.

I don`t have any personal experience with the 1Z Metallic Polish Wax, but I think I remember Accumulator writing that it does a great job on metallics. Just remember that it isn`t a LSP but a very mild polish. You`d still need to top it off with your sealant of choice.

I know a lot of you may be recommending claying. I have Clay Magic ordered and I don`t think it will arrive before this weekend.

Definitely clay. You should be able to pick it up locally at an Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. if what you`ve ordered doesn`t come in time.

drck1000
03-16-2006, 07:58 PM
I don`t have any personal experience with the 1Z Metallic Polish Wax, but I think I remember Accumulator writing that it does a great job on metallics. Just remember that it isn`t a LSP but a very mild polish. You`d still need to top it off with your sealant of choice.

I also have the Glanz Wax for the LSP for use with the Metallic PolishWax.

For the clay, a local store has the Clay Magic 200 grams bars for like $35 each. They also have the Meguiar kit which I may try if my Clay Magic kit doesn`t come in by Saturday.

Thanks for your feedback regarding the UPP. Do you apply a QD or water to the foam pad? I have those cheap yellow pads and the red and white ones where one side is softer that the other and supposedly less bite to it. I had intended on using that dual sided pad for the UPP. Can`t wait.

toml
03-16-2006, 08:22 PM
I also have the Glanz Wax for the LSP for use with the Metallic PolishWax.

Sounds good! :up

For the clay, a local store has the Clay Magic 200 grams bars for like $35 each. They also have the Meguiar kit which I may try if my Clay Magic kit doesn`t come in by Saturday.

$35 is a bit steep ... I think I got mine for $25 from Ranny. I`m not sure which Megs clay you`re talking about. On their website, they have a Smooth Surface Clay Kit (http://www.meguiars.com/whatsnew/newproductdetail_page.cfm?SKU=G1016), Quik Clay (http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-detailing-clay/Quik-Clay-Detailing-System), as well as professional mild (http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-auto-detailing-clay/Detailing-Clay-Mild) and aggressive (http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-auto-detailing-clay/Detailing-Clay-Aggressive) clay. I`d stay away from the aggressive, but I`d think any of the others would work fine.

Thanks for your feedback regarding the UPP. Do you apply a QD or water to the foam pad? I have those cheap yellow pads and the red and white ones where one side is softer that the other and supposedly less bite to it. I had intended on using that dual sided pad for the UPP. Can`t wait.

I didn`t use either water or QD. From other posts as well as from Premium Auto Care`s website (http://www.premiumautocare.com/fostulpapr.html), UPP should be applied with a dry foam applicator. For a particular pad, I got several Viking foam pads with the grip handle from a local Autozone. It`s the blue, center item on this page (http://www.vikingcarcare.com/vikingcarcare/products/index.aspx) of Viking`s website. The grip handle is a great feature.