PDA

View Full Version : How do I center a pad correctly?

imported_SHICKS
03-16-2006, 06:43 PM
I just got a new SFX pad in the mail and it`s not like the LC pad in which my backing plate seems to fit perfectly on the velcro. This pad has an entire velcro side.

How do I center it properly? Do I just keep trying, then mark it with a permenant marker?

Thanks,

Steve

holland_patrick
03-16-2006, 08:05 PM
get the edge 2000 pads and don`t have to worry about it every again..

twitch
03-16-2006, 08:26 PM
I usually eyeball it and get it as close as I can. If my twitchy a@@ can do it I am confident that you can too :D

You will like the Sonus pads... they are quality.

a.k.a. Patrick
03-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Centering is not all that important as the pad itself oscillates.......get it close and you good to go !!

yankees1
03-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Ditto! Get the Edge System and never worry about pad placement again!

volunteer1816
03-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Centering the pad isn`t as critical on a DA, but what about a rotary? Other than the EDGE pads, what other tips/tricks are there to center the pads? I use LC pads...if that helps.

THX!

MichaelM
03-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Centering the pad isn`t as critical on a DA, but what about a rotary? Other than the EDGE pads, what other tips/tricks are there to center the pads? I use LC pads...if that helps.

THX!

Depends on the backing plats you use. Some plates have a hole in the center for a centering tool (my Makita came with one, looks like a small piece of pipe) which works well with the LC pads. I mostly use the 6" flexible backing plates with LC pads and try to eyeball the hole in the pad over the nub in the middle of the plate. Takes a few tries sometimes but not a hassle.

volunteer1816
03-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Depends on the backing plats you use. Some plates have a hole in the center for a centering tool (my Makita came with one, looks like a small piece of pipe) which works well with the LC pads. I mostly use the 6" flexible backing plates with LC pads and try to eyeball the hole in the pad over the nub in the middle of the plate. Takes a few tries sometimes but not a hassle.

I see what you`re saying. My backing plate is solid with no hole. I kinda figured out a way today. Instead of putting the pad on the backing plate, I put the backing plate on the pad...if that makes any sense. I set the pad on the bench and set the plate into the pad. I found it easier since you can actually see where the plate is going to seat once it hooks in. Just thought I would share...

Sergei
01-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Resurrecting this thread... I am trying to find a device that would center a velcro pad exactly. I have seen these tools, but not able to find it. Yes, I read that it won`t matter on a PC since it oscillates. However the oscillation will exaggerate more thus causing premature wear on the PC 7424/7336. I say this because the CW on the PC is designed to cause the oscillation effect. Improper placement of the pad onto the BP would exaggerate the function of the CW. Right?

Grimm
01-10-2007, 08:21 AM
I just had a thought. Cut a piece of cardboard to the profile of the pad. Then take the size of the backing plate and make measured marks around the peremiter inside that cardboard cutout. Then place the backing plate on the marks so that it is centered perfectly and trace the entire circle of the plate. Then cut that out of the center of the cardboard. Then when you put a pad on, just put the pad on a surface, then put the cardboard template on the pad and all you do is put the backing plate in the circle in the center.

Sergei
01-10-2007, 12:26 PM
That sounds like a quick fix. Thanks...

yankees1
01-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Edge System!

wannafbody
01-14-2007, 09:56 AM
most rotary backing plates have holes or protruding nubbins to aid centering. If yours doesn`t make some measurments with a ruler and mark the pad with a black sharpie marker