PDA

View Full Version : Great Price on Clay

Pages : [1] 2 3

ET Awful
03-16-2006, 05:32 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before, but Detail Plus (though I wouldn`t buy much from them) has a very good price on their clay if you buy 5 or more containers. They have 2 x 4 oz bars for $19.95, but if you buy 5 packages, you get them for $9.95 each. Now that, at least to me, seems like a REALLY good price.

The clay appears to work quite well (only used it once, on a very neglected white SUV, and it seems to have worked VERY well on that, although I couldn`t finish the car due to the PC problems I mentioned in another thread).

Anyway, if anyone is interested, you can get it here:

http://www.detailplus.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DP&Product_Code=CP1

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2006, 06:44 AM
That does seem like a really good price for the 5 pkgs., I think that is the new low price!

ET Awful
03-16-2006, 07:18 AM
That does seem like a really good price for the 5 pkgs., I think that is the new low price!

I posted the same deal on another forum in reply to a thread about clay price per oz breakdowns and was accused of being a shill or spammer. :think:

a.k.a. Patrick
03-16-2006, 10:34 AM
I think its two packages, no?

Asonyexec
03-16-2006, 11:04 AM
It`s not clay, according to the web page anyway, they claim it`s not clay it`s "elastic." So are the tops of my socks but i wouldn`t use them to clean my car LOL. I`ll stick to the real stuff.

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2006, 12:16 PM
I think its two packages, no?

Patrick, I think each package has two clay bars, and that $9.95 price is if you buy 5 packages. I tried to verify that by putting 5 in my cart...but...I couldn`t find a cart link to look at it..what kind of store is that, where you can`t find the cart? :think:

twitch
03-16-2006, 12:20 PM
I tried to verify that by putting 5 in my cart...but...I couldn`t find a cart link to look at it..what kind of store is that, where you can`t find the cart? :think:

Same here... that site seems whacky and unprofessional IMO.

I also have never seen any "road far" on any vehicles that I`ve dealt with so this clay may not be for me :grinno:

ET Awful
03-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Patrick, I think each package has two clay bars, and that $9.95 price is if you buy 5 packages. I tried to verify that by putting 5 in my cart...but...I couldn`t find a cart link to look at it..what kind of store is that, where you can`t find the cart? :think:

The reason you can`t find the cart is my fault, I posted the direct product link instead of their associated menu stuff: http://www.detailplus.com/ (go to supplies then chemicals then clay).

The site doesn`t calculate properly. I called them and they gave me that price.

Their site sucks, but the service on the phone was polite and prompt.

ET Awful
03-16-2006, 12:30 PM
It`s not clay, according to the web page anyway, they claim it`s not clay it`s "elastic." So are the tops of my socks but i wouldn`t use them to clean my car LOL. I`ll stick to the real stuff.

You might want to check into that, since many types of clay ARE elastic. Chances are you`re already using elastic clay to clean your vehicle.

Check this thread for example: http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51774&highlight=elastic+clay

If you think ANY clay is actually clay, then you are misinformed. "Clay" is a mud like substance you dig out of the ground.

For instance, Wolfgang clay is elastic according to their own description: http://www.autogeek.net/wg8000.html

For more info, see here: http://store.bettercarcare.com/detailingclay.html (who I believe advertises on Autopia)

I`ll quote from their FAQ: "Q3. What is the best clay?

A3. What label do you like? There are only a couple manufactures of clay, and the technology is protected by U.S. patents. Clay is manufactured with different levels of abrasiveness and colors to suite different applications. There are some subtle difference in technology (plastic vs. elastic material) and the firmness of the material. In general, softer clays are safer and easier to use. A firm clay cleans better with a little more risk of scuffing or scratching."

This is the "real stuff". Thanks for being insulting and condecending though.

I may be new to detailing, but at least I don`t post insulting replies without researching what I`m saying first.

But whatever, I`ve tried to save people money on two forums now, and both times it resulted in people replying in an insulting and condecending manner.

That`s the last time I post any information on good deals. Screw it. Seems like when you try to help people out, they would rather attack and insult than accept it.

I found a great deal, I`m passing it on. If you have something insulting to say, save it. If you want to take advantage of the deal do so. If you want to pretend that any of the detailing clay you use is actually "clay" I won`t attempt to explain to you the difference between naturally occurring "clay", plastics, polymers, and elastics (although I work with several chemists at the pharmaceutical company I work for that might be willing to help explain the difference to you).

I may not be an expert detailer, hell I`d hardly even qualify as a novice, but I DO research what I buy before I buy it, and I do research what I say before I say it. ALL detailing clay is made of various plactics and elastics to my understanding, none of the are actually "clay."

ET Awful
03-16-2006, 01:09 PM
No, I do not have any connection to Detail Plus other than as a one-time customer that got a good deal.

AND, in case anyone has any questions about the quality of the bars, I offered to send Setec a bar in the mail so he can test it out and report back with his opinion.

Other than that, I`m done with this thread. I was just trying to be helpful.

TigerMike
03-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the info...just ignore the mis-informed comments as I`m sure the majority appreciate your trying to help.

Elastic is certainly a type of clay. http://web.archive.org/web/20041010030759/www.erazer.com/elasti-clay.htm

In fact, I am not surprised it worked very well for you as many of the boutique detailing clays are elastic material (as they are all mostly the same and come from the same source as well).

Mike

ET Awful
03-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info...just ignore the mis-informed comments as I`m sure the majority appreciate your trying to help.

Elastic is certainly a type of clay. http://web.archive.org/web/20041010030759/www.erazer.com/elasti-clay.htm

In fact, I am not surprised it worked very well for you as many of the boutique detailing clays are elastic material (as they are all mostly the same and come from the same source as well).

Mike

That was my understanding. As I said, I`m no expert, but have a feeling that most clays of the same color came from the same place (i.e. most yellow clays come from the same place).

TigerMike
03-16-2006, 01:40 PM
but have a feeling that most clays of the same color came from the same place (i.e. most yellow clays come from the same place).

Check the link I posted. ;) Most are coming from those guys.

If you notice, most distributors for their clay use the same write-ups and photos as the mfr. The link you posted uses the same photo as the mfr also. ;) And, yes, this clay is top notch.

ET Awful
03-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Check the link I posted. ;) Most are coming from those guys.

If you notice, most distributors for their clay use the same write-ups and photos as the mfr. The link you posted uses the same photo as the mfr also. ;) And, yes, this clay is top notch.

I`m convinced it`s the same clay. Hell, it`s even the same jar, just without a label.

twitch
03-16-2006, 02:17 PM
ET - If what I said was mistakenly taken as being insulting that was not my intention whatsoever. I apologize if it came off that way.

I appreciate you posting this as is does seem like a great deal on clay bars.

thanks!