PDA

View Full Version : are sonus DAS pads a bad choice

imported_steveo3002
03-16-2006, 02:45 AM
i ordered the sonus DAS kit a while back, im happy enough with the pads , but from what ive read on forums maybe they werent the best choice

why are they not great? what improvements would i see with other pads

DrSauekraut
03-16-2006, 02:50 AM
I like the Sonus DAS pads; however I prefer the SFX series – fast correction and holds polish a bit longer.

SVR
03-16-2006, 03:06 AM
I really like them for plastics and spot repairs on paint

Have not tried the sfx pads yet, mostly use 3M and Edge but expecting my first Lake Country VC pads in a few days from ranney

The swirlbuster orange pad I just got in and that is really thick and isn`t soft in the centre like the DAS

Alfisti
03-16-2006, 05:20 AM
i ordered the sonus DAS kit a while back, im happy enough with the pads , but from what ive read on forums maybe they werent the best choice

why are they not great? what improvements would i see with other pads

What have you read that suggested they weren`t the best choice?

The DAS pads are very good. You won`t see a lot of difference between them and LC, Megs, Excel, etc. The only ones that I`ve used that are quite different are the SFX pads...but the main benefit appears when using water-based polishes.

NeReTe
03-18-2006, 06:05 AM
Man, since I tried Lake Country... other stuff is out of place.

lbls1
03-18-2006, 07:47 AM
I tried sfx last year, and they were good, but they couldn`t stand up to excessive use. I ate up ALL of those pads. Some people were suggesting that I did not have the pad centered right, but I double checked the positioning, and even during this I did not have the pc on full blast. Those pads really couldn`t get past two cars without starting to break up.

I want to try DAS this year, as other people told me that they were more durable.

wannafbody
03-18-2006, 08:17 AM
the edge pads seem to be durable

Lowejackson
03-18-2006, 12:52 PM
I have been using the Sonus pads for well over a year without any problems. I would say the difference between Sonus and Meguairs etc is down to preference

Alfisti
03-19-2006, 03:57 AM
Yes, I would agree with that too.

lbls1, I have had the opposite experience to you. I found the SFX pads to be unbreakable. I`ve used them on dozens of cars and they still look new. I`m not suggesting you`re wrong...after all, that was your experience. Its just odd how different our experiences were. Maybe you got a bad batch. :nixweiss

This weekend I polished a black Hummer H2 and used my LC white DA pads (similar closed-cell foam to the SFX white pad). What an excellent pad to use with Menzerna polishes! Being water-based polishes they suited this pad perfectly. They dusted less and worked the polish longer. I don`t know who sells it these days (I got it from ACC when David use to sell them) but it`s these pads: http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/foampads_dafoam.html

lbls1
03-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Were you referring to those pads in the link? Mine were in the Sonus line. Were those the pads you were referring to?

JasonD
03-19-2006, 09:23 AM
I`ve been using Sonus DAS pads since they came out, and haven`t had a single problem with them. Just keep them clean and dry, and they hold up just like the rest.

I, personally, like the texture of the DAS over the SFX, but that`s just me.