Pages : [1] 2 3 4

gmblack3
03-15-2006, 07:35 PM
2000 vette

Here is how the fun started:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/IMG_0795.jpg

So I have been polishing on it for most of the day. :waxing:

Started a section on the hood, tried the following:

Menzerna PG with orange excel pad at 1500- after about 6x gave up on that.

PG with foam compounding wafffle pad at 1500-better but still not going to get it done.

Megs #4 heavy cut and wool pad at 1500-1600. getting it done much better but still not 100% after 3x. Leaving some nice micromarring.

Did the whole hood and most of the roof.

This pic of the roof is after 3x of #4 and wool at 1500-1600:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/IMG_0790.jpg

I was about out of #4 so I cleaned the wool pad and went back to PG. I did the rear deck area doing about 3x per section. It seems that the micromarring is not as bad with the PG.

I came around to the drivers door did 2x PG and wanted to see how it was going to finish up. I was planning on IP/FPII but I I tried some 106ff with a orange excel pad and 1500. Still too many defects so I hit it 2x more with PG and wool. I then did 2x 106ff again with orange excel pad and 1500.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/IMG_0794.jpg

This might be as good as its gonna get. :think:

I think I have the owner talked into AJ. So we will see how AJ looks on red.

gtbaka
03-15-2006, 07:53 PM
I applaud your hard work. :clap: That vette clearcoat seems like an impenatrable barrier and would scare the heck out of me with the #4 micromarring. Good call going with the wool pad. They aren`t so hard to use, just different.

Look forward to the finished product!

gmblack3
03-15-2006, 08:01 PM
I applaud your hard work. :clap: That vette clearcoat seems like an impenatrable barrier and would scare the heck out of me with the #4 micromarring. Good call going with the wool pad. They aren`t so hard to use, just different.

Look forward to the finished product!

Thanks Don! Today was my first time with the wool pad. Not that hard to use at all.

Yes the vette clear is a major PITA. :furious:

gtbaka
03-15-2006, 08:07 PM
You`re right, it`s pretty easy. When I was younger I used wool all the time. In fact I found the fact of maintaining the surface temperature and dealing with buffer hop a much more steeper of a learning curve when I started using foam pads. No such deal with wool. Just let it cut for you. Foam does finish way nicer though.

gmblack3
03-15-2006, 08:13 PM
You`re right, it`s pretty easy. When I was younger I used wool all the time. In fact I found the fact of maintaining the surface temperature and dealing with buffer hop a much more steeper of a learning curve when I started using foam pads. No such deal with wool. Just let it cut for you. Foam does finish way nicer though.

:up

When I started using a rotary last w/e, it was with foam. My buddy was trying to get me to go with the wool, but I was too :scared: I guess he was right, but I`m not going to tell him that. :grinno:

Scottwax
03-15-2006, 10:05 PM
I guess the only step up would be wetsanding! Looks like you did everything you could and there is a huge improvement.

BTW, AJ looks great on red. :)

GTScott
03-16-2006, 05:25 AM
That is a huge improvement. The Vette clear is just ridiculous, but it makes you wonder why it still swirls so easily. I am impressed that you were able to get them out as much as you did. My vette had the standard roof and rear deck swirls that I worke don and I don`t think I even made a dent in them.

Where did you run across a wool pad? Was it similar to my smells-like-a-wet-dog pad? Did the rotary try to bite more with that pad on it?

Wetsanding is another good option. Do you want to give it a try? If you have the car long enough, we could give that a shot.

-GT

gmblack3
03-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Don`t want to mess with wetsanding myself.

Here is (http://www.toolking.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=16938) the wool pad I am using.

Djmigs
03-16-2006, 10:29 AM
awesome work GmBlack :xyxthumbs

? for you how was #4 have you tried it on other vehicle how does it cut is it aggressive also did you try after #4 then #1 then #2.....

also did you try using #84 or 85 just a thought...but overall excellent work...

by the way did you pic up the hitachi i think i rememeber you post that but wasnt sure...i got mine but have not had the chance plus :scared: to use it yet but i will.....dont forget to post the before AJ and after shots.... :getdown

gmblack3
03-16-2006, 11:31 AM
awesome work GmBlack :xyxthumbs

? for you how was #4 have you tried it on other vehicle how does it cut is it aggressive also did you try after #4 then #1 then #2.....

also did you try using #84 or 85 just a thought...but overall excellent work...

by the way did you pic up the hitachi i think i rememeber you post that but wasnt sure...i got mine but have not had the chance plus :scared: to use it yet but i will.....dont forget to post the before AJ and after shots.... :getdown

#4 is the only Megs product that I have tried. Its pretty heavy but some charts rate it the same as PG. I like the PG better as it seems to have less micromarring. I used it on the wifes BMW with a PC and waffle pad. Alot of work there.

Yes the hitachi, I like it alot but have never used another rotary.

Will do on the AJ.

gmblack3
03-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Here are some shots in the sun.

This one is after PG and the wool pad:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/before_MIP1.jpg

After IP with a foam waffle compound pad:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/after_MIP1.jpg

Back to work!!!

Joshua312
03-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Looks good so far, cant wait to see it with AJ - Thanks for updating us with more pics. Good luck!

Rocket
03-16-2006, 04:27 PM
That`s a huge improvement

imported_NT2SHBBY
03-16-2006, 05:57 PM
I`m not seeing any swirls after IP........ :nixweiss

gmblack3
03-16-2006, 06:19 PM
I`m not seeing any swirls after IP........ :nixweiss

There are still a few. The owner dropped by today and was very happy. :xyxthumbs

Did 1x of FPII, then prime with blue propel. Just about ready to go take the prime off and start with the first coat of AJ. Will do another coat of AJ tomorrow and then the pics will come.