PDA

View Full Version : Overspray Problem

Bolted
03-15-2006, 04:48 PM
This is great web site, so maybe someone can help. My neighbor had some work done on her deck and had it painted. The guys sprayed the deck with an oil based paint. They strung up lights and worked till late painting. There was a light breeze and the overspray landed on 5 of the neighbors vehicles. Of coarse this crew does not have insurance and I do not know if I am going to get any help from this fly by night crew. I did a test on the paint on our 2004 Expedition and 85 F150 and it looks like it will come off with a clay bar. My concern is the tonneau on the old truck. I have a lot of work in this truck. The cover is about 2 years old. I have been using 303 on it and it looks great for sitting in the florida sun. I just cleaned it the other day with vinyl cleaner. I did not put 303 on it. I was going to wait until this weekend. So the overspray landed on the tonneau cover with no protection at all. It really bonded to the surface. Is there any product I can use to remove the dry overspray without hurting the cover. A new one is $300.00

I am also concerned about removing the overspray on the trim on the Expedition. The black trim is coated pretty bad. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated....Thanks

kenz28
03-16-2006, 01:31 AM
My dewalt buffer with a white foam pad and 3m fitness it II removes overspray with ease.

Bolted
03-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the response. I just tried the finesse-it II with no luck. This is a soft cover made from vinyl. I am thinking I should try a chemical but not sure which one. One guy told me to try mineral spirits. Anyone know if this will work without harming the vinyl?

the other pc
03-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Did you try claying the vinyl? In may be smooth enough for it to work, depends on the texture.

PC.

mtwedt
03-16-2006, 12:35 PM
There was a recent post by a member who detailed a painter`s truck that was literally covered in paint and he used a product called "Sprayway Industrial Wipes" and got incredible results with it. A search with the name of this product should turn up his post and you can see for youself what he accomplished with it. It is made by the same folks who make Sprayway Glass Cleaner. I think it available at TOL....40 wipes for around 15-16 bucks. A full list of these wipes applications is on the Sprayway website when I researched the product because this guy had such great results. I imagine you could query the company and ask if these wipes would work on you tonneau cover without damaging it. They certainly took the paint off the finish of that painter`s truck. I going to be ordering some of these wipes soon.....there are other household uses for them as well. Good luck and may your cars never be oversprayed again.

PS: found the post I was referring to...check out rw3829`s post "Painters` Truck Befores and Afters

Bolted
03-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the response. I did try the clay bar with no luck. Paint is really stuck to the vinyl.

I have never heard of the Sprayway Industrial Wipes. Maybe I will learn something from this debacle. I found the website for this product.....Thanks again guys!!!! :2thumbs:

Bolted
04-01-2006, 08:36 PM
After trying just about everything to remove oil based overspray from this Torza folding tonneau cover. I used my PC with an upholstery brush and Westley`s Tire Cleaner. I set the PC about half speed and let the weight of the buffer do the job. Mineral spirits, clay bar, compounds would not touch it. Took about 8 hours total. Finished with vinyl cleaner, rinsed with water and lots of 303 for protection. It looks good so far, I hope it doesn`t fade from all the testing it has gone through.