PDA

View Full Version : Water Spots under Wax!!!

tpsk8er
03-15-2006, 02:25 PM
I just waxed my car for the first time today(also first time waxing any car). I washed and dryed my car correctly and very well(so i thought). After i buffed the wax, i noticed there was water spots all over the hood :hairpull , and just the hood. My question is, what do i do? I`ve heard of water spots eventually etching into the clear coat, and i do not want this to happen.

imported_steveo3002
03-15-2006, 02:39 PM
you need something with some cleaning ability first.....like klasse aio or megs color x

TigerMike
03-15-2006, 03:23 PM
If they are fresh, something as light as a vinegar rub will work. Vinegar is an ingredient in some water spot removers...

If they have etched the paint, you will need a moderate to aggressive abrasive, i.e. Menzerna IP/FP, Optimum Compound/Polish, or Poorboy`s SSRs.

tpsk8er
03-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Will the vinegar get me through the wax as well. If not, what is the best way to do that. I would just wait till the next time the car needs to be waxed, but by then i think they will be etched.

superstring
03-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I just waxed my car for the first time today(also first time waxing any car). I washed and dryed my car correctly and very well(so i thought). After i buffed the wax, i noticed there was water spots all over the hood :hairpull , and just the hood. My question is, what do i do? I`ve heard of water spots eventually etching into the clear coat, and i do not want this to happen.

Did you inspect the paint before you waxed it? I don`t think that waterspots are going to etch into the clearcoat, but IMHO, if you want to correct the situation, I would strip all the wax and use a cleaner/polish to get rid of the spots, then re-wax. Yes, vinegar will strip wax, but I wouldn`t do it in "spot" fashion. Re-do the whole car and do it right! :D

tpsk8er
03-15-2006, 07:58 PM
is vinegar something normally used for removing wax as well water spots, or is there a better product for removing wax.

superstring
03-15-2006, 09:18 PM
If you use a paint cleaner/polish, this will remove the wax. But, if it were me, I`d use a paint cleaner or vinegar to remove the wax and then use a polish to remove the water spots and then wax. You need to try one method and then evaluate the result. You will get the hang of it, maybe not initially, but eventually! Patience, my friend! :D

White95Max
03-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Just use a polish or paint cleaner, which will remove the wax and probably the spots as well.

tpsk8er
03-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Yep, i am very impatient, but i have no choice i guess. Will scratch x do the job, i have an extra bottle laying around.

White95Max
03-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah it should do the trick. Make sure you work it long enough to break down the abrasives in the ScratchX.

DuMouixe
03-15-2006, 10:41 PM
or 1119/883

tpsk8er
03-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Would a MF be alright for this task?

White95Max
03-16-2006, 08:28 AM
I`d use a MF applicator or terry applicator to apply the ScratchX and remove with a MF towel.