PDA

View Full Version : D.O.T. Winter Maintenance Info

Malachi71
03-15-2006, 06:04 AM
I am doing some research on the types of materials used by your state`s Department of Transportation for winter maintenance of roads.

I live in PA (part of the salt belt) and materials used in my state include the following:

1. Liquid Calcium- used mainly on high speed interstates

2. Rock Salt/Anti-Skid - used on all lower speed roads and secondary roads (approx. 50mph and below).

In case you didn`t know, Anti-Skid is very damaging to a vehicles paint and windshield...chips, chips, chips! This is something I am trying to get our DOT to recognize, remove, and find another alternative material that poses no damage. I know...I`d have a better chance of teaching a dog how to drive a car!

So post what you know and if you don`t know, see if you can find out.

Thanks,

Rob

Setec Astronomy
03-15-2006, 06:16 AM
I presume that for number 1 you mean Liquid Calcium chloride, which is a salt. As far as "Anti-Skid", is that some sort of gravel mixture? Is it mixed with the rock salt, or applied separately?

nudave
03-15-2006, 06:18 AM
I do know that most likely your attempts will be fruitless. I too hate salt, but its the only thing that can be used. There is no alternative that is both safe for the environment and works as well as rock salt. Here in Rochester, NY, they use rock salt on all roads, even on 50+ m.p.h. roads.

The best thing that can be done is avoid salt spreaders at all costs and don`t drive when the salt is being spreaded. Other than that, the best alternative is to just wash your car every chance you get and layer that SG! :D

Setec - I believe Anti-Skid = Rock salt + sand mixture.

imported_Gears
03-15-2006, 07:40 AM
I live in western PA and know that they spread everything on the roads in winter. Those rock salt piles that they load from also contain real rock and gravel in small amounts.

I can count on replacing at least one windshield a year from this junk.

I`ve seen that in the town of Slippery Rock that they spread the ashes from the University coal burning power plant. The roads turn black and they smoke.

Malachi71
03-15-2006, 08:04 AM
I presume that for number 1 you mean Liquid Calcium chloride, which is a salt. As far as "Anti-Skid", is that some sort of gravel mixture? Is it mixed with the rock salt, or applied separately?

Sorry about that. Yes, I mean Liquid Calcium Chloride.

The anti-skid I am talking about is seperate and is mixed with the salt. It is actually a stone (possibly limestone) that measures anywhere from and 1/8" to 3/8." I commonly see it around 3/16" - 1/4" That`s pretty big! Definitely big enough to chip up vehicles. They need to crush the stone up into smaller sand-like pieces. That would result in a lot less chipping but would still be abrasive enough for traction.

Malachi71
03-15-2006, 09:47 AM
I do know that most likely your attempts will be fruitless. I too hate salt, but its the only thing that can be used. There is no alternative that is both safe for the environment and works as well as rock salt. Here in Rochester, NY, they use rock salt on all roads, even on 50+ m.p.h. roads.

The best thing that can be done is avoid salt spreaders at all costs and don`t drive when the salt is being spreaded. Other than that, the best alternative is to just wash your car every chance you get and layer that SG! :D

Setec - I believe Anti-Skid = Rock salt + sand mixture.

Salt is one thing but the anti-skid is worthless! Our DOT thinks it`s the best thing since the microwave!

I may have to disagree with you on the comment you made that there is no alternative to salt that is both safe for the environment and works well to melt snow. I`ve recently read about Safecote. It seems like a good alternative to what the DOT`s are currently using. Here is a link. Check it out.

http://www.safecote.com/

WSUcommuter
03-16-2006, 03:57 PM
There is not much worse than the sound of salt and loose stones grinding away at your vehicle during winter commutes. It literally makes me feel sick to my stomach :cry:

DETAILKING
03-16-2006, 04:52 PM
The problem is that when it is REALLLY cold out, salt doesn`t do much. It only works when the temperature is around freezing.

So the alternative is to use SAND for traction.

Malachi71
03-17-2006, 10:04 AM
The problem is that when it is REALLLY cold out, salt doesn`t do much. It only works when the temperature is around freezing.

So the alternative is to use SAND for traction.

I agree with you 100%! Now it`s getting PennDot to agree and crush the anti-skid stones into a more finer sand-like material. Probably would cost them too much that`s why they don`t do it!